1 force that attracts objects in space towards each other, and on the earth pulls them towards the centre of the planet, so that things fall to the ground when dropped 万有引力; 地心引力; 重力.
2 (a) importance (of a worrying kind); seriousness （令人忧虑的）重要性; 严重性
*I don't think you realize the gravity of the situation. 我认为你没有意识到局势的严重.
* For an offence of this gravity, imprisonment is the usual punishment. 对这种重大罪行通常处以监禁.
* news of considerable, unusual, etc gravity 相当重要、非常重要等的新闻.
(b) solemnity 严 肃; 庄严
*behave with due gravity in a court of law, at a funeral, etc 在法庭、葬礼等场合表现应有的庄重态度
* a twinkle in his eye which belied the gravity of his demeanour （他）眼睛一眨, 藉以掩盖他的严肃态度.
1400-1500; Language: French;Origin:
gravité, from Latin
gravitas, from gravis; GRAVE1
the force that causes something to fall to the ground or to be attracted to another planet
→gravitation the force of gravityformal
the extreme and worrying seriousness of a situationgravity of I could not hide from her the gravity of the situation. The penalties should be proportionate to the gravity of the offence.
an extremely serious way of behaving or speaking The Consul spoke slowly and with great gravity.
→centre of gravity
1. Because the gravity on the Moon´s surface is only a sixth of Earth´s (remember how easily the Apollo astronauts bounded along), 由于月球表面的重力仅是地球表面的1/6 -- 还记得阿波罗飞船中的宇航员累松地跳跃 --
2. The reason lies in its gravity. 其原因在于月球的重力。
3. Apparently, wearing high heels pushes your breasts (胸脯) out by changing your center of gravity (重心). 虽然，穿高跟鞋可以通过改变人的重心而使乳房突出来。
4. "When you start pulling G's," he reminded me, referring to gravity forces, "your G-suit will fill with air automatically." "当你拉动G服时，"他提醒我道（G指的是重力），"你的重力服就会自动充气。
5. Gravity is a form of magnetism. 重力是磁力的一种表现形式。
6. He identifies himself with its centre of gravity, its mass, its weight; 他把自身和物体重心、质量、重量融为一体。
7. Once waves have been generated, gravity is the force that drives them in a continual attempt to restore the ocean surface to a flat plain. 一旦波浪形成，地球引力是持续不断企图使海面复原为平面的力量。
8. I don´t think you realize the gravity of the situation. 我认为你没有意识到局势的严重.
9. In tight turns and recovering from dives, it can pull nine G's, or nine times the force of gravity, causing a 200-pound man to weigh nearly a ton. 在急转弯和俯冲后拉升时，它能达到超重9倍，也就是重力的9倍，让一个体重200磅的男子重达近1吨。