n.块,大多数,质量,群众,大量 adj.群众的,大规模的,集中的 vt.使集合 vi.聚集
动词过去式:massed 过去分词:massed 现在分词:massing 第三人称单数:masses
1 [C] ~ (of sth)
(a) quantity of matter without a regular shape 团; 块; 堆
*There were masses of dark clouds in the sky. 天上有朵朵乌云.
* The flowers made a mass of colour against the stone wall. 以石墙衬托着的花朵五彩缤纷.
* A mass of snow and rock broke away and fell on the climbers. 一堆积雪和岩石突然崩落到登山者的身上.
(b) large number 大量; 大批; 众多
*a mass of spectators 大批观众
* She elbowed her way through the masses of tourists. 她用胳膊肘开路从游客中挤了过去.
* (infml 口) I got masses of cards on my birthday. 我生日的那天收到了很多贺卡.
2 [attrib 作定语] involving/of a large number of people 群众的; 人数极多的
*mass education 群众教育
* a mass meeting, walk-out, audience 群众大会、大批退席、广大听众
* mass murder/a mass murderer 大屠杀[大屠杀的刽子手].
3 [U] (physics 物) quantity of matter in a body, measured by its resistance to acceleration by a force (ie its inertia) （物体的）质量（即其惯性的大小）. => App
4 the masses [pl] ordinary working-class people, esp as seen by political leaders or thinkers 劳动者阶层（尤指政治领导人或思想家所指的劳动群众）
*a revolutionary who urged the masses to overthrow the government 鼓动群众推翻政府的革命者.
5 [sing] the ~ of the majority of (people) 大多数的（人）
*The mass of workers do not want this strike. 大多数工人不愿举行这次罢工.
6 (idm 习语) be a mass of sth be full of or covered with sth 充满; 布满
*The garden was a mass of colour. 花园里的景色五彩缤纷.
* His face was a mass of bruises after the fight. 他打完架後脸上青一块紫一块的. in the `mass (fml 文) as a whole 总体上; 总的说来
*She says she doesn't like children in the mass. 她说从总体上讲她不喜欢孩子.
v [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] assemble/gather (sb/sth) into a mass 集结, 集合（某人[某物]）
*clouds massing on the horizon 地平线处积聚的云彩
* The general massed his troops for a final attack. 该将军把部队集结起来发动最後的攻击.
* the massed pipes and bands of several regiments 从几个团集合起来的管乐器和管乐队.
1. Even for the great mass of Germans who supported Hitler, I felt a sort of sorrow. 我甚至还为许许多多支持希特勒的德国人感到某种悲哀。
2. Because the Moon has only an eightieth of the Earth´s mass, 因为月球的重只有地球的1/8，
3. We had to evolve the truth from a mass of confused evidence. 我们不得不从大量庞杂的证据中推断出事情的真象。
4. The garden was a mass of colour. 花园中五彩缤纷.
5. They set to work accumulating a huge mass of data. 他们开始累积大量的资料。
6. Traditional custom, taken the world over, is a mass of detailed behaviour more astonishing than what any one person can ever evolve in individual actions, no matter how aberrant. 从世界范围来看，传统风俗是由许多细节性的习惯行为组成，它比任何一个养成的行为都更加引人注目，不管个人行为多么异常。
7. They will hardly know which facts to select from the great mass of evidence that steadily accumulates. 对于逐渐积累起来的庞大材料，他们几乎不知道选取哪些好，
8. A stone is an inert mass of matter. 石头是没有生命的物质。
9. A great mass of snow has fallen off the roof. 从房顶掉下了一大块积雪。
10. A cloud is a mass of vapor in the sky. 云由一堆积聚在空中的水蒸汽形成。