/lɒs; [US] lɔ:s; lɔs/
1 [U] act, instance or process of losing 丧失; 遗失; 损失
*loss of blood, health, prestige, money 丧失血液、健康、威信、钱财
* The loss (ie death) of his wife was a great blow to him. 他妻子去世对他打击很大.
* without (any) loss of time （毫）不失时
* a temporary loss of power 暂时失势
* The loss of this contract would be very serious. 未能签成这一合同关系重大.
(a) person or thing lost 损失的人或物
*heat loss 热量损失
* The enemy suffered heavy losses, ie many men killed, etc or much equipment destroyed. 敌军损失惨重.
* The car was so badly damaged that it had to be abandoned as a total loss. 汽车损坏严重, 只好彻底报废.
(b) money lost in a business deal, etc （生意等的）亏损的钱
*made a loss on the deal 这笔交易赔了钱
* sell sth at a loss, ie for less than it cost 亏本出售某物
* suffer losses in the export market 在出口市场中亏损.
3 [sing] suffering caused by losing sb/sth; disadvantage （因失去某人[某事物]而致的）损失, 不利
*Her departure is a great loss to the orchestra. 她离去是管弦乐队的一大损失.
* It's no loss, ie Its loss does not matter. 那算不上损失.
4 (idm 习语) at a `loss not knowing what to do or say; perplexed or puzzled 不知如何是好; 茫然; 困惑
*It left him at a complete loss (for words). 这使他完全茫然（而语塞）了.
* I'm at a loss what to do next. 我不知道下一步怎么办. cut one's `losses abandon a scheme that causes loss before one loses too much 中止某计画以免损失更大. a dead loss => dead.
[Language: Old English;Origin:
] [U and C]
the fact of no longer having something, or of having less of it than you used to have, or the process by which this happensloss of The court awarded Ms Dixon £7,000 for damages and loss of earnings . a disease which causes fever and a loss of appetite This did not explain his apparent loss of interest in his wife. her loss of confidence in herself a certain feeling of loss of control a temporary loss of memory The animal was weak through loss of blood . The company is closing down two of its factories, leading to 430 job losses . Weight loss should be gradual. a type of hearing loss that affects language development [U and C]
if a business makes a loss, it spends more than it earns The company made a loss of $250,000 last year. The magazine's losses totaled almost $5 million. profit and lossrun/operate etc at a loss
(=to earn less money from something you sell than it costs you to produce it) Two of the mines are running at a loss. a loss-making rural railway [U and C]
the death of someoneloss of She must be feeling very lonely after the loss of her husband. I'm sorry to hear of your family's sad loss (=the death of someone you love) . US forces withdrew after suffering heavy losses (=many deaths) . The war has led to a tragic loss of life .be at a loss
to be confused and uncertain about what to do or say When her son finally left home, Emily felt completely at a loss.be at a loss to do sth Detectives are so far at a loss to explain the reason for his death. He seemed, for once, at a loss for words (=unable to think what to say) .[U]
a feeling of being sad or lonely because someone or something is not there any more the deep sense of loss I felt after my divorce [singular]
a disadvantage caused by someone or something leaving or being removedloss to We see your going as a great loss to the company.that's/it's sb's lossspoken
said when you think someone is being stupid for not taking a good opportunity Well, if he doesn't want to come, it's his loss.
→cut your lossesatcut1
→a dead lossatdead1
COLLOCATES for sense 1loss of earnings/incomeloss of appetiteloss of interestloss of confidenceloss of controlloss of faithloss of memory/memory lossblood loss/loss of bloodjob lossesweight losshearing loss
1. Each new act that confirms your job loss starts the pain again: 每一个进一步让你确认自己已失去了工作的新情况都会重新激起你的痛楚：
2. Exercise can result in iron loss through a variety of mechanisms. 运动可能通过多种机制导致铁离子流失。
3. Euro Disney said that although attendance levels had been high, "the company anticipates that it will sustain a net loss for the financial year ending September 30, 1992". 欧洲迪斯尼公司说尽管游客量一直相当大，"公司预计在1992年9月30日结束的财政年度里会有净亏损。"
4. Being laid off from work, job loss and recession (衰退) have always affected Walter Cronkite's tone of voice and the editor's page. 下岗、失业和经济不景气一直影响着沃尔特·克朗凯特的情绪和报纸的社论版。
5. Women of child-bearing age are at greatest risk, since their monthly bleeding is a major source of iron loss. 育龄女性危险最大，因为月经是铁流失的重要原因之一。
6. The captain´s delinquency led to the loss of the ship. 船长失职而损失了一艘轮船.
7. This loss led to the demise of the business. 这一损失导致了公司的倒闭.
8. There is often a progressive loss of sight in old age. 人到老年视力往往逐渐衰退。
9. Later, we shall undergo a progressive loss of our vigour and resistance which, 再迟一些，我们就要经历生命力和抵抗力逐步衰退的过程。
10. The tragic sinking of this great liner will always be remembered, for she went down on her first voyage with heavy loss of life. 然而，这艘巨轮首航就下沉，造成大批人员死亡。人们将永远记着这艘巨轮的沉没惨剧。