1 (a) [U] ~ (from...) departing; going away 离开; 离去
*His departure was quite unexpected. 他这一走很出人意料.
* [attrib 作定语] the departure lounge, ie in an airport 候机室.
(b) [C] instance of this 离开; 离去
*notices showing arrivals and departures of trains 列车到达和开出时刻的公告.
2 (a) [C, U] ~ from sth action different from (what is usual or expected) 背离; 违反
*a departure from old customs, the standard procedure, etc 同旧习俗、标准程序等相违.
(b) [C] course of action; venture 行动; 大胆行事
*Working on a farm is a new departure for him. 对他来说, 在农场工作是一种新的尝试.
3 (idm 习语) a point of departure => point1.
n [U and C]
an act of leaving a place, especially at the start of a journey
≠ arrivaldeparture for I saw Simon shortly before his departure for Russia.departure of There was a delay in the departure of our plane.departure from Mozart's departure from Paris in September 1778 [U and C]
an act of leaving an organization or positiondeparture from He refused to discuss his departure from the government.[C]
a flight, train etc that leaves at a particular time There are several departures for New York every day.[C]
a way of doing something that is different from the usual, traditional, or expected waydeparture from Their new designs represent a departure from their usual style.radical/major/significant etc departure
(=a big change) This would be a radical departure from the subsidy system.
1. What is the time of departure? 出发的时间是几点？
2. The bad weather delayed the departure of the steamer. 坏天气延误了轮船的起程。
3. Her arrival coincided with our departure. 她来到时我们正好离开.
4. Her sudden departure has disarranged my plans. 她突然离去, 打乱了我的计划.
5. After her departure, Aunt Harriet discovered that there were piles of empty wine bottles of all shapes and sizes neatly stacked in what had once been Bessie´s wardrobe. 贝西走后，哈丽特姑妈发现在贝西以前用过的衣柜里整整齐齐地放着一堆堆形状各导、大小不一的酒瓶子。
6. "It's not easy to leave behind the people you love, especially a boyfriend. I cried at the departure and I cried on the plane too," says Patricia Caglian. 帕特里夏·卡格利恩说: "抛下你所爱的人，特别是男朋友, 是很不容易的。我在飞机起飞的时候哭了，到了飞机上还在哭。"
7. On the day before our departure, several bus loads of tourists descended on the town. 我们离开小镇的前一天，镇上来了几辆满载游客的公共汽车。
8. For many, the departure at the airport is the worst time. 对许多学生来说，在机场与亲友告别是他们最难受的时候。
9. Flight 830. Departure 10:45 p.m. 830号班机。起飞时间：晚上十时四十五分。