n.多数,大半 n.[律] 成年
/mə'dʒɒrətɪ; [US] -'dʒɔ:r-; mə`dʒɔrətɪ/
1 [Gp] the greater number or part; most 大多数; 大半; 大多
*A/The majority of people seem to prefer TV to radio. 大部分人似乎喜欢看电视而不喜欢听收音机.
* The majority was/were in favour of the proposal. 多数人赞成这个建议.
* [attrib 作定语] majority opinion, rule 多数人的意见、多数裁定原则. Cf 参看 minority.
2 [C] ~ (over sb)
(a) number by which votes for one side exceed those for the other side 超过对方的票数
*She was elected by a majority of 3749. 她以超过对方3749票当选.
* They had a large majority over the other party at the last election. 在上次选举中他们以悬殊的票数击败了对方.
* The government does not have an overall majority, ie a majority over all other parties together. 政府没有获得（超过各党派票数的）总合多数票.
(b) (US) number by which votes for one candidate exceed those for all other candidates together 多数票（一候选人的选票超过其他候选人票数的总和）. Cf 参看 plurality 3.
3 [sing] legal age of full adulthood 成年的法定年龄
*The age of majority is eighteen. 成年的法定年龄是18岁.
* She reaches her majority next month. 她下个月就到成年年龄了.
4 (idm 习语) be in the/a majority form the greater part/the larger number 构成大部分[大多数]
*Among the members of the committee those who favour the proposed changes are in the majority. 委员中赞成提出修改意见的占大多数. the silent majority => silent.
1【most people or things】2【most votes】3 majority vote/decision/verdict etc4 majority stake/shareholding etc5【becoming an adult】
1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:
majorité, from Latin
]【MOST PEOPLE OR THINGS】 [singular also + plural verb British English]
most of the people or things in a group
≠ minoritymajority of The majority of students find it quite hard to live on the amount of money they get.great/vast/overwhelming majority of sth
(=almost all of a group) In the vast majority of cases the disease is fatal.be in the majority
(=form the largest group) In this city, Muslims are in the majority.
→silent majority【MOST VOTES】[C]
if one person or group wins a majority in an election, they win more votes than other people or groupsmajority of 50/100 etc He won by a majority of 500. The Labour Party won a huge majority at the last general election.clear/overall/absolute majority
(=a situation in which one party wins more votes in an election than all the other parties) The party won an absolute majority in Portugal in 1987.small/narrow majority The government gained only a narrow majority, with 151 votes against 144.Labour/Conservative etc majority The Labour majority was reduced to just 15 seats at the last election.majority vote/decision/verdict etc
a vote or decision in which more people vote for something than vote against it The committee usually takes decisions by majority vote. The jury found him guilty by a majority verdict.majority stake/shareholding etc
when one person or group owns a bigger share of a company than other people or groups and so is able to control what happens to the company Alex Golding held a majority shareholding in Golding plc.【BECOMING AN ADULT】[U]BrE law
the age when someone legally becomes an adult
≠ minorityreach majority/the age of majority He became a partner in the family firm on reaching his majority.
1. The majority of the Asian peoples have regained their liberty. 亚洲人民大多数已经重获自由。
2. The majority is for ( against ) him. 多数赞成（反对）他。
3. The majority of the patients attending the medical out-patients departments of our hospitals feel that 在医院门诊部看病的大多数人觉得，
4. The side which makes the greatest noise is naturally the majority and the policy is decided in their favour." 声音大的自然是多数，于是政策就按他们的意志决定下来。”
5. The great majority of nations concern themselves with economic development, regardless of its effect on the global ecology. 绝大多数国家只顾经济发展，而不顾经济发展对全球生态环境的影响。
6. That second choice no longer exists for the vast majority of Americans. 对绝大多数美国人来说, 上述第二种选择已不复存在。
7. And on Asians. Already, orientals and Asian Americans constitute the majority of the engineering staffs at many Valley firms. 靠的是亚洲人。硅谷许多公司中工程技术人员的大多数是东方人和亚裔美国人。
8. She hit the target. Americans are quite religious (the majority being Christian) and have a special place in their hearts for pets. 她达到了目的。美国人笃信宗教（绝大多数美国人都是基督教徒), 而且宠物在他们心里占有特殊的地位。
9. Of these the former are the majority. 这两类人当中，第一类人是大多数，
10. Officially, the U.S. Navy does not recognize the triangle as a danger zone and is convinced that "the majority of disappearances in the triangle can be attributed to the unique features of the area's environment." 而美国海军官方并不承认此三角区为危险地带，他们相信"（三角地带的）大多数失踪事件，都应归咎于该地区独特的环境特征"。