n (pl ~s or media / 5mi:dIE; `midIE/)
1 (pl usu 复数通常作 media) means by which sth is expressed or communicated （表达或传播的）媒介, 方法, 手段
*Commercial television is an effective medium for advertising. 商业电视是有效的广告宣传工具.
* She chose the medium of print (eg published a book) to make her ideas known. 她选择出版手段来表达思想.
* The artist chose the medium of oil (ie used oil paints) for the portrait. 那画家选用油彩画肖像.
* In this country English is the medium of instruction, ie all subjects are taught in English. 该国用英语教学.
2 (pl mediums) something that is in the middle between two extremes 中间物; 两极端间的居中者
*find the medium between severity and leniency 在宽严之间找一居中的尺度.
3 (pl usu 复数通常作 media) substance or surroundings in which sth exists or moves or is transmitted （某物赖以生存或活动或传播的）介质, 环境
*bacteria growing in a sugar medium 在糖基中生长的细菌
* Sound travels through the medium of air. 声音可通过空气介质传播.
4 (pl mediums) person who claims to be able to communicate with the spirits of the dead 通灵的人; 灵媒; 关亡人. =>Usage at data 用法见data.
5 (idm 习语) a/the happy medium => happy.
adj [usu attrib 通常作定语] in the middle between two amounts, extremes, etc; average 中间的; 中等的; 平均的
*a man of medium height 中等身材的男子
* a medium-sized firm 中等规模的商行
* clothes to be washed at medium temperature 需以适中温度洗涤的衣服.
1. The communication medium was a computer, phone line, and modem. 它需要一台电脑、电话线和调制解调器。
2. And slipping through a medium that seems to help its passage even when the wind is adverse. 虽然我们不再从它们的飞翔姿态来占卜吉凶，
3. Sound travels through the medium fo air. 声音通过空气作为媒介传播.
4. So many transactions and exchanges are going to be made through this medium — banking, shopping, communication, and information — that those who have to rely on the postman to send their correspondence risk really falling behind," he says. 那么多的交易、交换都将通过这一媒体进行 -- 银行业务、购物、通信、信息 -- 因此那些只能靠邮递员发送信件的人实在是有落伍的危险了。"