1 [attrib 作定语] as far away as possible (esp from the centre or beginning); remote 尽可能远的（尤指距中心或起点）; 遥远的; 久远的
*in the extreme north of a country 在一国的最北部
* the extreme edge of the forest 森林最远的边缘
* in extreme old age 极高的年龄.
2 [usu attrib 通常作定语] of the highest degree or intensity; greatest possible 程度或强度最高的; 最大可能的; 极度的
*show extreme patience, kindness, gentleness, etc 表现出极为耐心、和蔼、温柔等
* in extreme pain 在极度的痛苦中
* (fml 文) The extreme penalty of the law in some countries is the death penalty. 有些国家的极刑是死刑.
3 (often derog 常作贬义) (of people and their opinions) far from moderate （指人和意见）偏激的, 极端的
*hold extreme views 持偏激观点
* a supporter of the extreme left/right, ie a person who supports communism/fascism 极左[右]思想的拥护者（拥护共产主义[法西斯主义]的人）
* His ideas are too extreme for me. 我认为他的思想太偏激了.
n [C usu pl 通常作复数]
1 feeling, condition, etc as far apart or as different from another as possible 极端不同的感情、状况等
*the extremes of misery and bliss 悲惨与极乐天壤之别的境遇
* Love and hate are extremes of passion. 爱与恨是感情的两个极端.
* He was once terribly shy but now he's gone to the opposite extreme. 他以前特别 腆, 可现在却判若两人.
2 greatest or highest degree; either end of anything 最大程度; 最高程度; 极端
*He could not tolerate the extremes of heat in the desert. 他忍受不住沙漠的酷热.
3 (idm 习语) go, etc to ex`tremes act or be forced to act in a way that is far from moderate or normal 走极端
*In the jungle, they were driven to extremes in order to survive. 在丛林中, 他们为了生存被迫采取极端行动. in the ex`treme (fml 文) to the highest degree; extremely 极端; 极度
*This is inconvenient in the extreme. 这极不方便.
1. Extreme cold will solidify water. 寒冷可使水凝固。
2. When this division is taken to an extreme, unusual mathematical abilities result. 这种分工到了极致，就产生了不寻常的数学能力。
3. Thank you for your extreme kindness. 感谢你的深情厚意。
4. Today we tend to go to the other extreme, but on the whole this is a healthier attitude both for the child and the parent. 虽然现在我们倾向于走向另一个极端，但总地来看，孩子和家长双方态度都比较端正。
5. This is of extreme importance when trying to analyze the direction-taking or decision-making process. 在对其取向或决策过程进行分析时，这一点尤为重要。
6. His conversation was vapid in the extreme. 他谈话乏味已极.
7. Hers was the most extreme crisis I'd ever confronted, and at first I was terribly afraid. 她的问题是我所遇到的最难的一个，而且一开始我还非常害怕。
8. Around the world, in rich and poor countries alike, the structure of family life is undergoing extreme changes, 整个世界，不论是穷国还是富国，家庭生活的结构都在发生着极大的变化。
9. Such extreme cases must probably be taken with a grain of salt, 这种极端的事例虽不可全信，
10. One wonders also why Nature, with some snakes, concocted poison of such extreme potency. 人们弄不清楚大自然为什么在某些蛇的身上调制出如此高效的毒液来。