动词过去式:toothed 过去分词:toothed 现在分词:toothing 第三人称单数:tooths 名词复数:teeth
n (pl teeth / ti:W; tiW/)
1 [C] each of the hard white bony structures rooted in the gums, used for biting and chewing 牙; 齿
*The baby's first front teeth are just coming through. 那孩子的门牙刚长出来.
* have a tooth out, ie extracted by a dentist 拔一颗牙
* She still has all her own teeth, ie no false ones. 她满口牙还很好.
2 [C] tooth-like part, eg on a comb, saw or gear 齿状部分（如梳子、锯或齿轮的）.
3 teeth [pl] (infml 口) effective force 有效的力量
*The law must be given more teeth if crime is to be properly controlled. 要想有效控制住犯罪活动, 就得加强法制的威力.
4 (idm 习语) armed to the teeth => arm3. bare its teeth => bare2. by the skin of one's teeth => skin. cast, fling, throw, etc sth in sb's `teeth reproach sb with sth 以某事责备某人. cut a `tooth have a tooth that is just pushing out through the gum 长出牙齿. cut one's `teeth on sth gain experience from sth 从某事中获得经验. draw sb's/sth's teeth/fangs => draw2. fight, etc tooth and `nail fight, etc very fiercely or persistently 猛烈或顽强地斗争等. get/take the bit between one's/the teeth => bit2. get one's teeth into sth deal with or concentrate on sth 处理某事; 专心于某事
*Now you know what the job involves here's something to get your teeth into. 你既然对这项工作已有所了解, 有些事就由你去处理吧. grit one's teeth => grit v. have a sweet tooth => sweet1. in the teeth of sth
(a) in spite of sth; in opposition to sth 不顾某事; 反对某事
*The new policy was adopted in the teeth of fierce criticism. 那项新政策尽管受到强烈抨击却硬是采用了.
(b) directly against (the wind, etc) 顶着, 迎着（风等）. a kick in the teeth => kick2. lie in/through one's teeth/throat => lie1. long in the tooth => long1. set sb's `teeth on edge (esp of a sharp sound or taste) annoy or displease sb （尤指刺耳的声音或强烈的味道）恼人的, 使人难受的. show one's teeth => show2.
1. When the dentist at last removed the cotton wool from my mouth, I was able to tell him that he had pulled out the wrong tooth. 当那位牙医最后将药棉从我嘴中取出时，我总算有可能告诉他，他拔错了牙。
2. The dentist put a filling into my tooth. 牙科医生给我的牙洞填补上了。
3. Have you had a false tooth inserted? 你镶上假牙了吗?
4. He had lost a tooth. 他掉了一颗牙。
5. Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out of the hole where the tooth had been. 与此同时，我的舌头忙着寻找我拔掉牙的那个洞，
6. Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out the hole where the tooth had been. 与此同时，我的舌头正在忙着寻找刚拔掉的那颗牙的伤口。
7. One cat, Sabrina, fell 32 storeys, yet only suffered from a broken tooth. 有一只叫萨伯瑞的猫从32层楼上掉下来，但只摔断一颗牙。
8. I have a misery in the tooth. 我牙疼。
9. For a fee of $15.60 per jump, Tokyo Roof rented me a flight suit, special shoes, gloves, earplugs(耳塞), a crash helmet, a face mask, a tooth guard and a safety harness (but no parachute). 蹦极跳每次收费15.60美元，"东京屋顶" 租给我一套飞行服，特殊的鞋子、手套、耳塞、头盔、面罩、护牙套、还有一套安全装备（但是没有降落伞）。