n.锯 v.锯 vbl.see的过去式
名词:sawer 动词过去式:sawed 过去分词:sawed/sawn 现在分词:sawing 第三人称单数:saws
pt of see1.
n (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) cutting tool that has a long blade with a sharp-toothed edge, worked by hand (by pushing it backwards and forwards) or mechanically, and used for cutting wood, metal, stone, etc 锯
*cutting logs with a `power saw 用电锯锯原木
* a ,circular `saw
* a `handsaw
* a `chainsaw.
v (pt sawed, pp sawn / sR:n; sRn/; US sawed)
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] use a saw; cut (sth) with a saw; make (logs, etc) by using a saw 用锯; 锯（某物）; 锯成（原木段等）
*spend half an hour sawing 锯半小时
* saw into the branch 把锯锯进树枝
* saw wood 锯木材
* saw a log into planks/in two 把原木锯成板[两截]
* saw the plank right through 把木板锯开. =>Usage at cut1 用法见cut1.
2 [Ipr, Ip, Tn] ~ (away) (at sth) make to-and-fro movements as if with a saw 像拉锯一样来回移动
*sawing at his fiddle, ie using the bow as if it were a saw 拉提琴
* She was sawing (away at) the bread with a blunt knife. 她正在用一把钝刀拉锯般地切着面包.
3 [I] be capable of being sawn 可被锯开
*This wood saws easily. 这木材很容易锯开.
4 (phr v) saw sth down bring sth to the ground using a saw 锯倒某物
*saw a tree, pole, etc down 锯倒树、杆等. saw sth off (sth) cut sth off with a saw 锯掉某物
*saw a branch off (a tree) 锯掉树枝
* a sawn-off shotgun, ie one with most of the barrel sawn off, used esp by criminals because it is easier to carry and conceal 枪管锯短的枪（尤指罪犯为便于携带或隐藏用的）. saw sth up saw sth into pieces 将某物锯成小块
*All the trees have been sawn up into logs. 所有的树都已锯成原木.
n (dated 旧) saying; proverb 格言; 谚语
*the old saw `More haste, less speed.' 语云,｀欲速则不达.＇