1 [C, U] ~ (in/of sth) (degree of) varying or being variant 变化, 变动, 变异（的程度）
*Prices have not shown much variation this year. 今年物价没显出多大变化.
* Currency exchange rates are always subject to variation. 货币兑换率是经常变的.
* The dial records very slight variations in pressure. 刻度盘显示出压力有微小变化.
2 [C] ~ (on sth) (music 音) repetition of a simple melody in a different (and usu more complicated) form 变奏; 变奏曲
*a set of variations on a theme by Mozart 以莫扎特某一乐曲为主题的一组变奏曲
* piano, orchestral, etc variations 钢琴、管弦乐等变奏曲
* (fig 比喻) His numerous complaints are all variations on a theme, ie about the same thing. 他的牢骚说来道去都是一回事儿.
3 (a) [U] (biology 生) change in structure or form caused by new conditions, environment, etc 变异; 变种.
(b) [U] (mathematics 数) change in a function, etc due to small changes in the values of constants 变分; 变差.
(c) [C] instance of such change 变异; 变种; 变分; 变差.
[U and C]
a difference between similar things, or a change from the usual amount or form of something
White bread is really just a variation of French bread.
variations in the quality of the rugs
There is a great deal of variation among the responses.
The study concluded that the variation between the different CD players was very small.
something that is done in a way that is different from the way it is usually done
Most of his poems are variations on the theme of love.
one of a set of short pieces of music, each based on the same simple tune
Bach's Goldberg variations
1. But it warned that, given the likely strong seasonal variation in attendance, it was not possible to predict future attendance or profits. 但公司也提醒说，考虑到游客量可能有相当大的季节性变化，所以无法对今后的游客量和收益做出预测。
2. The variation among individuals is much greater than the differences among groups. 个体之间的差异大于群体之间的差异。
3. A color map of the world's genetic variation has Africa at one end of the range and Australia at the other. 人类基因变异彩图表明非洲与澳洲分别位于变化范围的两端。
4. Of course, the books and periodicals that are warning society about the removal of jobs, "the end of work", and wage decreases only serve to increase public anxiety — a slow-motion variation of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theate 当然, 那些因工作岗位的消失、"工作完蛋了"和工资减少而对社会发出警告的书籍和期刊杂志只不过是起到了增加公众焦虑的作用--只是在挤满了观众的戏院里有人大叫"着火啦"的那种景象的慢镜头的变种而已。
5. I´m sure you´ll get used to the variation of the weather. 我肯定你会适应天气的变化的,
6. It is only in the study of man himself that the major social sciences have substituted the study of one local variation, that of Western civilization. 只是在对人类自身的研究。主要的社会科学建立在本土变化，即西方文明上。