/və'kæbjʊlərɪ; [US] -lerɪ; və`kæbjə,lɛrɪ/
1 [C] total number of words that make up a language （一种语言的）词汇, 字汇. Cf 参看 lexicon.
2 [C, U] (body of) words known to a person or used in a particular book, subject, etc; lexis （某人掌握的或某书、某学科等中使用的）词汇, 词汇层
*a wide, limited, colourful, etc vocabulary 宽泛的、有限的、丰富多彩的...词汇
* Tim has an average (level of) vocabulary for a 3-year-old. 蒂姆掌握了相当于3岁孩子的平均词汇（量）.
* an active vocabulary, ie words one recognizes and can use 积极词汇（个人认识并能使用的全部的词）
* a passive vocabulary, ie words one recognizes only 消极词汇（个人认识但不会使用的全部的词）
* enrich, increase, extend, etc one's vocabulary 丰富、增加、扩大...自己的词汇量.
3 (also infml 口语作 vocab / 5vEUkAb;`vokAb/) [U, C] list of words with their meanings, esp one which accompanies a textbook in a foreign language （注有释义的）词汇表（尤指外语教科书所附的）. Cf 参看 glossary.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: French;Origin: vocabulaire, from Medieval Latin vocabularium, from Latin vocabulum 'word, name', from vocare; VOCATION]
[U and C]
all the words that someone knows or uses
Reading is one of the best ways of improving your vocabulary.
He has a wide vocabulary .
(=the words someone can use)
(=the words someone can understand, but does not use)
all the words in a particular language
English has the largest vocabulary of any language.
[U and C]
the words that are typically used when talking about a particular subject
Most technical jobs use a specialized vocabulary.
the vocabulary of politics
[U and C]
the range of possible features, effects, actions etc, especially in a type of music or art
Charlie Parker expanded the vocabulary of jazz.
(the word) failure/guilt/compromise etc is not in sb's vocabulary
used to say that someone never thinks of accepting failure etc
[C]old-fashioned a list of words with explanations of their meanings, especially in a book for learning a foreign language
1. Business English is simply a set of English vocabulary words; it is not,as some seem to think, a language unto itself. 商用英文只是一组英文字汇,它并不是如一些人所想,本身自成一种语言.
2. Is as the proportion of the total vocabulary of his mother tongue against those words of his own baby talk that are taken up into the vernacular of his family. 就好像他本国语言的总词汇量和自己咿呀学语时他家庭所接纳的他的词汇量之比。
3. That still leaves some confusion over vocabulary. 这样做还是留下了一些词汇上的难题。
4. My second answer to this question of difficult vocabulary is, I think, a much better one. 对词汇难的问题，我想我的第二个办法是一个好得多的办法。
5. Learning the specific set of vocabulary words that pertain to one´s business becomes a simple task. 学习和自己行业有关的这组特殊字汇成为一件简单的工作.