名词:darkness 副词:darkly 形容词:darkish 形容词比较级:darker 最高级:darkest
1 the dark [sing] absence of light 黑暗; 无光
*All the lights went out and we were left in the dark. 所有的灯都熄了, 周围一片黑暗.
* Are you afraid of the dark? 你怕黑吗?
2 (idm 习语) before/after dark before/after the sun goes down 在天黑以前[以後]
*Try to get home before dark. 尽量在天黑以前回家.
* I'm afraid to go out after dark in the city. 在城里, 我害怕天黑後出门. (be/keep sb) in the `dark (about sth) in a state of ignorance 无知; 不知
*I was in the dark about it until she told me. 这件事在她告诉我之前, 我毫不知情.
* We were kept completely in the dark about his plan to sell the company. 对他计划将公司出售一事, 我们一直蒙在鼓里. a leap/shot in the `dark action, answer, etc that is risked in the hope that it is correct 盲目冒险的干、回答等
*It's hard to know exactly what to do we'll just have to take a shot in the dark. 很难说怎么办才对--我们只好瞎碰. whistle in the dark => whistle.
adj (-er, -est)
1 with no or very little light 黑暗的
*a dark room, street, corner, etc 黑暗的房间、街道、角落等
* It's awfully dark in here
*put the light on. 这里太黑了, 开灯吧.
* It's too dark to play outside. 外面黑得玩儿不了.
2 (a) (of a colour) not reflecting much light; closer in shade(6) to black than to white 暗色的; 深色的
*dark green, red, grey, etc 深绿色、深红色、深灰色
* a dark dress, suit, etc 深色的连衣裙、西装等
* dark-brown eyes 深棕色的眼睛.
(b) having brown(ish) or black skin or hair 有棕色或黑色皮肤或毛发的
*a dark youth, complexion 皮肤黝黑的青年[棕黑的肤色]
* I have one fair and one dark child. 我有两个孩子, 一个头发是金色的, 一个是黑色的.
3 (fig 比喻)
(a) hidden; mysterious 隐藏的; 神秘的
*a dark secret/mystery 无人知道的秘密[神秘事情].
(b) difficult to understand; obscure 难理解的; 意义不明的
*Your meaning is too dark for me. 你的意思我很难理解.
4 (fig 比喻) gloomy; sad 悲观的; 忧郁的; 忧愁的
*dark predictions about the future 对前途悲观的预测
* You always look on the dark side of things, ie are always pessimistic. 你总是着眼于事物的黑暗面（总是悲观）.
5 evil 邪恶的; 恶毒的
*dark powers/influence 罪恶的权力[影响].
6 (idm 习语) a dark `horse person who hides special personal qualities or abilities 黑马（有本事而深藏不露的人）
*He's a bit of a dark horse
*he was earning a fortune, but nobody knew. 他可算是藏龙卧虎
*赚大钱, 可谁也不知道. keep it/sth dark (from sb) keep sth secret 保密
*I'm getting married again, but keep it dark, will you? 我要再婚了, 可要保密呀, 行吗?
1. Because of my dark skin, kids at school called me names; I often got mugged coming home from school. My diving made me feel good about myself when my peers made me feel stupid. 由于我肤色黑，常常遭到学校里孩子们的辱骂。放学回家时常常遭到欺负。尽管同龄孩子们让我觉得自己不如别人，但跳水却使我对自己有了信心。
2. But, as I walked out of the garage, KFC chicken in hand, a portly, unshaven young man in a stocking cap and dark nylon jacket emerged from the shrub by the parking pad and put his pistol between my eyes. 可是当我手里拿着肯德基炸鸡走出车库时，一个肥壮、留着短髭、头戴绒线帽、身穿深色尼龙夹克的年轻人从停车处旁边的灌木丛中钻出来，把手枪顶在我的双眼之间。
3. But also, I was presenting to her one more particularly fine achievement: my own dark-eyed, dark-skinned, dark-haired daughter, whom my grandmother had never met. 但同时，我还要向她展示另一样特别出色的成就：我那黑眼睛、黑皮肤、黑头发的女儿，外婆还从来没有见过她呢。
4. With this watch you can tell time in the dark because its hands and dial are luminous. 用这只表你可以在黑暗中看时间，因为它的针和针盘都是会发亮的。
5. When it grew dark, she turned a suitcase into a bed and put the children inside it, covering them with all the clothes she could find. 天黑下来的时候，她把提箱当作小床，把两个孩子放了进去，又把所有能找到的衣服都盖在了孩子们身上。
6. We are in Montreal, in an echoing, dark train station, and we are squeezed together on a bench waiting for someone to give us some guidance. 我们到了蒙特利尔，呆在一个嘈杂的、黑暗的火车站里, 紧紧地挤在一起 坐在一条长凳上，等着有人来给我们带路。
7. While he chatted with other tourists, I exchanged polite conversation in the dark with a man seated in front of me, a Belgian who spoke fluent English. 他跟其他游客聊着天，我则在黑暗中礼貌地跟一位坐在我前面的男士谈话。他是位比利时人，讲一口流利的英语。
8. We can't really call a friend to say we got a parcel from our sister, or it's getting dark earlier now, or we don't trust that new Supreme Court justice. 我们不会真打电话给一位朋友，告诉他我们收到了姐姐的一个包裹，或者说现在天黑得比较早，或者说我们不信任最高法院新来的法官。
9. The cave was quite dark inside, so he made some candles to give light. 洞里相当黑, 他就做了一些蜡烛来照明.
10. The modern city consists of monstrous edifices and of dark narrow streets full of petrol fumes, coal 现代城市是由大得怕人的大厦和充斥着难闻的汽油味, 煤灰和有毒气体和又阴暗又狭窄的街道所组成,