1 (a) proper; acceptable 适当的; 可接受的
*We must provide decent housing for the poor. 我们必须为穷苦人提供适当的住房.
* The hospital has no decent equipment. 这家医院没有像样的设备.
* He's done the decent thing and resigned. 他做了件体面的事, 辞职了.
(b) not likely to shock or embarrass others; modest 不致使别人吃惊或难堪的; 适度的; 得体的
*That dress isn't decent. 那件连衣裙不够体面.
* (infml 口) Are you decent? ie Are you properly dressed? 你的穿戴得体吗?
* Never tell stories that are not decent, ie that are obscene. 切勿讲不雅的故事. Cf 参看 indecent.
2 satisfactory; quite good 令人满意的; 相当好的
*earn a decent wage, living, etc 赚可观的工资、生活费等
* That was quite a decent lunch. 那顿午餐相当不错.
* They're a decent firm to work for, ie They treat their employees well. 在那家公司工作挺不错.
* He's a thoroughly decent (ie honourable) man. 他是个极为正直的人.
1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:
décent, from Latin
decens, the present participle of decere 'to be suitable'
] [usually before noun]
of a good enough standard or quality a decent salary Don't you have a decent jacket? a house with a decent-sized yard Their in-flight magazine is actually halfway decent (=quite good) .
following moral standards that are acceptable to society
→decencydecent citizens/people/folk etc The majority of residents here are decent citizens. a decent burial Paul visited the local bars more frequently than was decent for a senior lecturer. The chairman did the decent thing (=did what people thought he ought to) and resigned. [usually before noun]
treating people in a fair and kind way I decided her father was a decent guy after all. It was decent of you to show up today.
wearing enough clothes so that you do not show too much of your body - used humorously Are you decent? Can I come in?>decentlyadv
1. That was a pretty decent lecture professor Willams gave today. 威廉教授今天做得演讲相当不错。
2. He is a decent fellow. 他是个正派的人。
3. You used to be a decent quaterback. 你以前是个相当不错的带头进攻队员
4. Soapy was freshly shaven, and his coat and tie were decent. 苏比刚刮过胡子，他的外衣和领带还挺像样。
5. Miss: Yes, they´re decent, but they´re decided on the basis of a person´s position and seniority. 小姐:是的, 还不错.但是薪水的高低是根据一个人的职位和资历决定的.
6. Mattel refashioned the doll into a decent, all-American — although with an exaggerated breast size — version and named it after Barbara, who was then a teenager. 马特尔公司将这个娃娃作了一番改造，变成了体面而地道的美国货，尽管胸围有些夸张。它名从当时10多岁的少女芭芭拉。
7. It´s on my beat, and I don´t want to run you in if you´re what you say you are, but I should advise you to buy a decent clock, or you´ll be getting yourself into trouble." 这是我的巡区，如果你说的是实话，我就不抓你。可是我劝你买一座象样的钟，不然的话，你会惹麻烦的。”