动词过去式:determined 过去分词:determined 现在分词:determining 第三人称单数:determines
1 [Tn, Tw] (fml 文) fix (sth) precisely; decide 确定（某事物）; 决定
*determine a date for a meeting 确定会议日期
* His future has not been determined, but he may study medicine. 他将来何去何从尚未决定, 但有可能学医.
* She will determine how it is to be done. 她会决定这件事的做法.
2 [Tn, Tw] (fml 文) find out (sth that is not known); calculate 测定, 找出（某未知事物）; 算出
*determine the meaning of a word/what a word means 确定某词的含义
* determine exactly what happened 查出究竟发生了什么事
* determine the speed of light, how high a mountain is 测定光速、山有多高.
3 [Ipr, Tf, Tw, Tt] ~ on/upon sth decide firmly that sth will be done; make up one's mind about sth; resolve 决定做某事; 对某事下定决心; 决心
*We determined on an early start/(that) we'd makean early start. 我们决定早些出发.
* determine on proving/to prove sb's innocence 决心要证实某人无辜
* They have determined where the new school will be built. 他们已决定在何处建校.
* He determined to learn Greek. 他决定学希腊语.
4 [Tn.pr] ~ sb against sth (fml 文) make sb decide not to do sth 使某人决定不做某事
*That determined her against leaving home. 那件事使她决定不离开家了.
5 [Tn] decisively influence (sth); fix 对（某事物）产生决定性的影响; 决定
*Do heredity and environment determine one's character? 遗传与环境可以决定一个人的性格吗?
* The exam results could determine your career. 考试成绩可能会决定你的前途.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
determiner, from Latin
terminus 'edge, limit'
to find out the facts about something
= establish Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire.determine how/what/who etc The aim of the inquiry was to determine what had caused the accident.determine that Experts have determined that the signature was forged.
if something determines something else, it directly influences or decides it The amount of available water determines the number of houses that can be built. The age of a wine is a determining factor as to how it tastes.determine how/whether/what etc How hard the swimmers work now will determine how they perform in the Olympics.
to officially decide something The date of the court case has not yet been determined.determine how/what/who etc The tests will help the doctors determine what treatment to use.determine to do sthformal
to decide to do something We determined to leave at once.
1. What qualities of the mind or spirit, in short, determine who succeeds? 一句话，心智或精神的何种素质决定了人的成功？
2. The future does not determine itself. The actions of the present determine the future. 未来并不是由其自身决定的。今天的行动决定着未来。
3. The Japanese business person works to achieve harmony, even if the deal falls through, and will spend whatever time is necessary to determine a "you to you" approach, communicating personal views only indirectly and delicately. 即使生意没做成，日本商人也力求和睦相处，愿花费必要的时间来确立"你对你"的交流方式，仅仅间接而巧妙地交换个人意见。
4. At the meeting I sat restlessly, scanning each comfortable mother's face, trying to determine which one hid the secret of Charles. 开会时，我不安地坐着，扫视着每一位母亲安详的脸，想确定哪一张脸能解开有关查尔斯的秘密。
5. Psychological experts agree that IQ contributes only about 20 percent of the factors that determine success. 心理学专家一致认为决定成功的因素中智商只占了大约20%，
6. First, you should try to determine what makes you submit or feel guilty. 首先，你应该设法弄清楚是什么东西使你让步、或者让你感到内疚的。