adj suitable for the occasion; right or proper 得体的; 恰当的; 适合的
*It was fitting that he should be here to receive the prize in person. 他应该亲自来领奖才对.
1 (usu pl 通常作复数) small standard part or component 小型标准零件或配件
*electrical fittings 电气配件
* stainless-steel light fittings 不锈钢灯具.
2 (usu pl 通常作复数) items, such as a cooker and shelves, that are fixed in a building but can be removed when the owner moves house （搬家时可移走的）装置（如炉具、橱架等）. Cf 参看 fixture 1, movables (movable).
3 process or occasion of having a garment fitted 试穿; 试衣
*a fitting for a wedding dress 试 穿结婚礼服
* costume fittings 服装试穿.
1. But one can't help feeling Chaplin would have regarded this strange incident as a fitting memorial — his way of having the last laugh on a world to which he had given so many. 但是人们不禁会感到，卓别林一定会把这一奇怪的事件看作是对他的十分恰当的纪念——他以这种方式给这个自己曾带来这么多笑声的世界留下最后的笑声。
2. He was a heavy man in a tight-fitting yellow and blue uniform. 他笨重的身体紧裹在黄蓝相间的制服里。
3. It is a fitting evening for a dance. 这是个适合于跳舞的夜晚。
4. I looked in the mirror and saw lots of wrinkles. I had a hard time fitting that outward me with the me inside. 我看到镜中的我有了很多皱纹，感到很难使那外在的我与内在的我相吻合。