prob,prov＝to test,to try（试）,to examine（检查;考试）
1 [C, U] ~ (on/in sth) action or process of improving; state of being improved 改进; 改善; 改良
*cause a distinct/significant/marked improvementin working conditions 使工作环境有明显的[重大的/显着的]改善
* a slight, gradual, etc improvement in the weather 天气的轻微的、逐渐的...好转
* This year's car is an improvement on (ie is better than) last year's model. 今年的汽车是去年型号的改进型.
* There is room for further improvement in your English. 你的英语尚有进一步提高的余地.
2 [C] addition or alteration that improves sth or adds to its value （改进某事物或提高其价值的）增加或修改
*home improvements 住宅的装修
* [attrib 作定语] a road improvement scheme 道路改善计画.
[U and C]
the act of improving something or the state of being improved
There's been a big improvement in the children's behaviour.
an improvement on earlier models
We need to carry out some improvements to the system.
dramatic/major/significant/substantial etc improvement
a marked improvement in her condition
It could be quite some time before we see any improvement .
This month's sales figures show some improvement .
Your English is much better, but there's still room for improvement (=it could be even better) .
a change or addition that improves something
Are you thinking of making some improvements to your home?
1. Early on, the team used the quality-improvement concept known as benchmarking — adopting the best methods or processes used by other companies. 初期，小组使用了被称为水准基标法的质量改进概念，即采用其他公司使用的最佳方法或疗程。
2. The key is to be satisfied with gradual improvement, expecting and accepting the occasional slips that come with any change. 关键是你要对逐渐的进步感到满足，要预见到并接受可能伴随这种改变而来的偶尔失误。
3. The condition has lasted two months and since there has been no sign of improvement, the doctor tells you she will never get significantly better. 这种状况持续了两个月，因为一直没有好转的迹象，医生告诉你她可能永远也不能完全康复了。
4. The team — six doctors, three nurses, three breathing specialists, two drug experts and a manager — studied the situation and came up with improvements that earned the team a special award for quality improvement. 这个由六名医生、三名护士、三名呼吸系统专家、两名药物专家和一名负责人组成的小组研究了当时的情况，并作出了改进，这些改进为该小组赢得了一项质量改进特别奖。
5. Although mankind has undergone no general improvement in intelligence or morality, 虽然人类有智力和道德上没有得到普遍提高，
6. A corresponding control group that didn't exercise showed no improvement. 而另一组相应的、未经锻炼的受控人群则不见任何提高。
7. At the second meeting, they set a target for improvement. 再次开会时，他们确定了改进目标。
8. Most of us fail in our efforts at self-improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out. 我们大多数人想自我完善却遭到失败，这是因为我们的规划过于宏大，而又根本没有时间去实施。
9. It is great improvement of our organs. 它是我们器官功能的增进.
10. In addition, the tai chi group also showed significant improvement in the condition of their hearts and quality-of-life measurements, such as a reduced fear of falling and an increased sense of control over their lives. 此外，太极组在心脏状况及生活质量的数据方面都有显著的改善，他们对摔跤的担心减少了，对生活的控制感也增强了。"