n.出价,提议,意图 vt.提供,出价,贡献,使出现,企图,演出 vi.(机会、时机等)出现,献祭,提议
名词:offerer 动词过去式:offered 过去分词:offered 现在分词:offering 第三人称单数:offers
fer＝to carry（运；载），to bear（忍耐）
/'ɒfə(r); [US] 'ɔ:f-; `ɔfɚ/
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) (for sth) put forward sth (to sb) to be considered and accepted or refused; present （向某人）提出某事物供考虑、接受或拒绝; 提供
*The company has offered a high salary. 公司已提出高薪相聘.
* She offered a reward for the return of her lost bracelet. 她为寻回遗失的手镯提出以酬金答谢.
* I've been offered a job in Japan. 日本有份工作要聘请我去做.
* He offered her a cigarette. 他敬她一枝烟.
* We offered him the house for ￡35000. 这所房子我们向他索价35000英镑.
* He offered ￡30000 for the house. 他还价30000英镑买这所房子.
2 [I, Tn, Tt, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) show or express the willingness or intention to do, give, etc sth 表示愿意或有意做、给...某事物
*I don't think they need help, but I think I should offer anyway. 我认为他们无须帮助, 不过我想我应有所表示.
* They offered no resistance. 他们没有抵抗.
* We offered to leave. 我们表示要走了.
* We offered him a lift, but he didn't accept. 我们建议他搭我们的车, 但他没有接受.
* The company offered the job to someone else. 公司把这工作给别人了.
3 [I] (fml 文) occur; arise 发生; 出现; 呈现
*Take the first opportunity that offers, ie that there is. 有机会切勿放过.
4 [Tn] (fml 文) give opportunity for (sth); provide 为（某事物）提供机会; 给予
*The job offers prospects of promotion. 这份工作有晋升的机会.
* The trees offered welcome shade from the sun. 这些树凉儿十分宜人.
5 [Tn, Tn.p, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth/sb (up) (to sb) (for sth) (fml 文) present or give sth/sb, usu to God or a god and esp as a sacrifice 奉献, （通常指向上帝或其他神）祭献（某事物[某人]）（尤指作为牺牲）
*She offered (up) a prayer to God for her husband's safe return. 她向上帝祷告保佑她丈夫平安回来.
* A calf was offered up as a sacrifice to the goddess. 向女神祭献了一头牺牲小牛.
6 (idm 习语) `offer itself/themselves (fml 文) be present; happen 有; 出现; 发生
*Ask her about it when a suitable moment offers itself. 这个问题你在适当的时候问问她吧. offer (sb) one's `hand (fml 文) hold out one's hand (in order to shake hands with sb) 伸出手（为和某人握手）
*He came towards me, smiled and offered his hand. 他向我走来, 微笑着伸出手来和我握手. offer one's hand (in `marriage) (fml 文) propose marriage to a woman 向女子求婚.
1 [C] ~ (to sb/to do sth) statement offering to do or give sth to sb （为某人做某事物或给某人某事物的）提议, 建议
*an offer of help from the community 社区提出的帮助建议
* your kind offer to help 你愿意帮忙的好意
* an offer of marriage (ie proposal) to the youngest sister 向最小的妹妹的求婚.
2 [C] ~ (for sth) amount offered 提供考虑的数量; 出价
*a firm offer, ie one which was genuinely meant and not likely to be withdrawn 实盘
* I've had an offer of ￡1200 for the car. 有人向我出价1200英镑买这辆汽车.
* They made an offer which I couldn't refuse. 他们出的价我十分满意.
3 (idm 习语) be open to (an) offer/offers => open1. on `offer for sale at a reduced price 削价出售
*Baked beans are on offer this week at the local supermarket. 当地超级市场本周烘豆罐头大减价. or nearest offer => near1. under `offer (Brit) (of a building for sale) having a prospective buyer who has made an offer （指待售房屋）已有人出价要买
*The office block is under offer. 办公大楼已有人出价购买.
Roy Gary Niederhoffer (b. in 1966) is an American hedge fund manager and philanthropist.
1. By comparison, trips by sea offer a great variety of civilized comforts. 相比较而言，海上旅行可提供各种文明的舒适条件。
2. By comparison, ferry trips or cruises offer a great variety of civilized comforts. 相比之下，坐船旅行或环游可以得到文明世界的各种享受。
3. But large cities could offer more benefits than problems. 但是，大城市带来的好处可能多于所引起的问题。
4. While human cloning might not offer great benefits to humanity, no one has yet made a convincing case that it would do any real harm, either. 虽然克隆人类可能不会给人类带来很大的好处，但也没有人能提供有力的例证证明它会带来真正的危害。
5. These days, advertisers not only offer free samples, but free cars, free houses, and free trips round the world as well. 目前，做广告的人不仅提供免费样品，而且还提供免费汽车，免费住房，免费周游世界。
6. The instructor may have to communicate with students personally to offer help and remind them of the need to keep up. 正如许多优秀教师不能有效地用网络辅导教学一样，并不是所有学生都具备在网上学习中取得成功所需的素质。
7. To offer peak performance in providing the electronic data and paperless trading global investors expect, Shanghai plans telecommunications networks as powerful as those in Manhattan. 为了能给国际投资者提供其所期望的电子数据和无纸化交易的出色服务，上海计划建设与曼哈顿的网络同样强大的远程通信网络。
8. The sales manager, who was quick-witted, replied: "My company cannot afford a two-volume edition, sir, but we could offer you a copy with a preface!" 头脑灵活的销售经理答道："先生，两卷本公司买不起，不过我们可给你弄一本带‘前言’的！"
9. He utterly repudiated my offer of friendship. 他完全拒绝接受我的友好表示.
10. After burning down a few farms, would offer to go away if protection money was paid to them. 纵火烧毁一两个农场,然后提出,如向他们缴纳保护金,他们便主动撤离。