动词过去式:sought 过去分词:sought 现在分词:seeking 第三人称单数:seeks
v (pt, pp sought / sR:t; sRt/) (fml 文)
1 (a) [I, Ipr esp passive 尤用于被动语态, Tn] ~ (after/for sth) look (for sth); try to find or obtain (sth) 寻找; 找到或得到（某事物）
*We sought long and hard but found no answer. 我们费力多时也未找到答案.
* seeking (for) solutions to current problems 寻找对目前问题的解决办法
* the long sought-for cure for the disease 长期寻求的治疗该疾病的方法
* young graduates seeking (after) success in life 探索人生成功之途的年轻毕业生
* It's a very/highly/much sought-after (ie popular) make of car. 这是一种极受欢迎的汽车型号.
* seek happiness, comfort, wealth, etc 追求幸福、安逸、财富等
* seek shelter from the rain 寻找避雨之处
* seek safety in flight 逃生
* The explanation is not far to seek, ie is very clear. 这种解释不难理解.
(b) [Tn] try to reach (a place or point); move towards (sth) 设法到达或达到（某处或某点）; 向（某物）移动
*Water seeks its own level. 水能自行流平.
* The flood started and we had to seek higher ground. 发大水了, 我们得到高的地方去.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sb) ask sb for sth 向某人寻求某事
*seek help, advice, information, etc 请求帮助、徵求意见、寻找信息
* You must seek permission from the manager. 你需请求经理批准.
3 [It] attempt (to do sth); try 设法（做某事）; 试图
*seek to bring the conflict to an end 试图结束冲突
* They are seeking to mislead us. 他们竭力误导我们.
4 (idm 习语) seek one's `fortune try to find a way to become rich and successful 寻找致富及成功之道.
5 (phr v) seek sb/sth out look for and find sb/sth 找出或找到某人[某事物]
*We sought her out to tell her of her success. 我们找到她, 告诉她她成功了.
* She sought out and acquired all his early paintings. 她找到并获得了他早期画的所有的画儿.
v past tense and past participlesought [sɔːt (US) sɔːt/
1. If, in a word, beauty means something, yet we must not seek to interpret the meaning. 一句话，如果美有某种意义的话，我闪千万不要去阐明它的意义。
2. Those who seek it undertake an arduous journey and can never be sure that they will find it. 那些寻求正义的人走的是一条崎岖的道路，从来没有把握他们最终将到正义。
3. Nothing seek, nothing find. 无所求则无所获。
4. Now that they are no longer ignorant of the causes of the sickness of our planet, they seek ways to help the Earth, to give back what they take away. 由于不再无视地球罹难的根源，人们正在寻求各种方法来治疗它，把自己取走的东西归还给地球。
5. During this time, Sarah kept running across the hall to seek comfort from Katie. 这段时间里，萨拉不断跑到过道对面卡蒂那儿寻求慰藉。
6. "Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, destructive or terrorist activities or any illegal purpose?" 做过性奴隶或皮条客吗？你到美国会从事违反出口管制的活动、破坏性或恐怖性活动、或任何其他非法活动吗？
7. "Excuse me," you say, "but I must go now and seek water." "对不起，"你说，"我得走了，得找水去。"
8. Another Disney spokesman said earlier that the aim of the theme park is to provide a basically American experience for those who seek it. 迪斯尼的另一位发言人早些时候说主题公园的目的就是为那些追求美式生活的人带来基本上是美国式的体验。
9. Some day, we will have to face this river and seek the depths of its discontent. 总有一天，我们将不得不面对这条河流，并探索其对现实不满的深层原因。
10. Seek challenges. Try inviting friends and business associates from different areas of your life to a party. 寻找挑战。试一试邀请你生活中不同领域的朋友和商业伙伴来参加晚会。