/,pɒpjʊ'lærətɪ; ,pɑpjə`lærətɪ/ n [U] quality or state of being liked or admired by many people 受大家喜爱或赞赏的性质或状态; 普及; 流行; 通俗性; 声望
*win/gain/enjoy/command the popularity of the voters 获得广大选民的拥戴
* His popularity among working people remains as strong as ever. 他在劳动人民中一如既往声望很高.
* Her books have grown in popularity recently. 她的书近来大受欢迎.
when something or someone is liked or supported by a lot of people
The popularity of the Internet has soared.
The president's popularity has declined considerably.
gain/grow/increase in popularity
(=start to be liked by many people)
Country music is growing in popularity.
1. The struggle to succeed in one of the world's most competitive societies is starting earlier and earlier, and is most evident in the growing popularity of special schools that train students during evenings and weekends to pass the examinations requi 日本是当今世界竞争最为激烈的社会之一，在这里，成功之搏开始得越来越早，最明显的证据是一些特殊学校的生源剧增。这些学校在晚上和周末上课，训练学生通过进入私立中学和大学的入学考试。
2. His popularity among working people remains as strong as ever. 他在劳动人民中一如既往声望很高.
3. Sadly, youth and beauty have become the currency of our society, buying popularity and opportunity. 可悲的是，青春、美貌已成了我们这个社会的货币，可以买到人心和机会。
4. (A companion study showed girls' popularity with their peers was also related to the popularity of their names — although the connection was less clear for boys.) （一个与之配套的研究表明：女孩受同龄人欢迎的程度也与她们的名字受欢迎的程度有关系。虽然对男孩来说这种关系不太明显。）
5. In his day, Mendoza enjoyed tremendous popularity. He was adored by rich and poor alike. 门杜萨一生享有极高的声誉。穷人和富人都崇敬他。
6. In his day, Mendoza enjoyed tremendous popularity. He was adored by rich and poor alike. 门多萨在的全盛时期深受大家欢迎，无论是富人还是穷人都对他祟拜备至。
7. It gets worse. The popularity of tennis shoes has led women's feet literally to get bigger — especially wider — but the sizing of shoes hasn't changed. 情况正变得越来越糟。可网球鞋的普及确实使女人的脚变大了--特别是变得更宽了--但鞋子的尺寸却没有变。