1 ~ (between A and B); ~ (of A to/with B) state of being connected 关系; 关联
*the close relationship between industry and trade/of industry to trade 工业与贸易间的密切关系.
2 (a) ~ (between A and B); ~ (of A to B) state of being related by birth or marriage 血缘关系; 姻亲关系
*a father-son relationship父子关系.
(b) ~ (between A and B); ~ (of A with B)emotional or sexual liaison 感情的或性的关系
*have a relationship with sb 与某人有情
* Their affair did not develop into a lasting relationship. 他们的暧昧交往未能发展成为持久的关系.
3 ~ (between A and B); ~ (of A with B) links or contacts; dealings 关系; 联系; 交往
*a purely business relationship 纯业务关系
* The author had a good working relationship with his editor. 该作者与编辑之间工作关系很融洽.
the way in which two people or two groups feel about each other and behave towards each other
I have quite a good relationship with my parents.
She has a close relationship with her daughter.
the special relationship between Britain and the US
personal/family/social etc relationships
a study of doctor-patient relationships
They've established a better working relationship .
I had a sort of love-hate relationship with my brother (=we loved and hated each other at the same time) .
[U and C]
the way in which two or more things are connected and affect each other
the relationship between poor housing and health problems
He's studying politics and its relationship to the media.
The lessons bear little relationship (=they are not connected) to the children's actual needs.
a situation in which two people spend time together or live together, and have romantic or sexual feelings for each other
He's never had a sexual relationship before.
She doesn't really want a relationship with me.
in a relationship
Are you in a relationship right now?
the way in which you are related to someone in your family
'What's your relationship to Sue?' 'She's my cousin.'
1. But dependent children can't just be left behind when it's time to move on to a new relationship: 但在建立新关系的同时不能不考虑尚未独立的孩子。
2. But so far the only evidence for a genetic component has been through statistics, the relationship being inferred mathematically from comparisons of twins and other such studies of close relatives. 但迄今为止，遗传基因所占比重的仅有的证据只是一些统计数据，即，从对双胞胎的比较，以及对其他血缘接近者的研究中得出的数学统计关系。
3. What is the relationship of crime to poverty? 犯罪与贫穷有什么关系?
4. What people call the new Love Family, unfortunately, has replaced a permanent relationship with a new ideal of unlimited choice. 不幸的是，人们称之为 "情爱家庭"的新模式以无约束的选择这一理想化的做法取代了夫妻间长相厮守的关系。
5. It removes the father from the household, the only sensible basis for a working parental relationship; 离婚使父亲离开了家庭，这惟一的父亲与子女间关系赖以存在的合理基础不复存在。
6. While this eliminates risk and helps to insure that the man and woman will be similar in background and outlook, the theory is that the personalities of the couple provide enough differences to make the relationship interesting. 虽然这种做法排除了风险，也有助于确保男女双方有相同的背景和观点，但从理论上来说，是夫妻个性方面的差异才使得婚姻关系引人入胜。
7. The relationship between the two countries was of shaky consistency. 这两个国家间的关系不稳定。
8. This kind of variability not only loosens the parents' ability to set limits, it also sours the parent-child relationship to some degree, robbing parents and their children of some of the happiness and mutual respect that is present in healthy famili 这样的反复无定不但削弱了父母管教孩子的能力，同时也在某种程度上使父母与子女之间的关系变味 -- 使家长和子女失去存在于健康家庭里的某些幸福和相互尊重。
9. That point was emphasized by the fact that Gail's parents, after thirty-five years of marriage, were going through a bitter and painful divorce, which had destroyed Gail and for a time had a negative effect on our budding relationship. 下列事实强调了这样一点：已经结婚35年的盖尔父母正经历着一场充满怨恨、令人痛苦的婚变，这件事给了盖尔以毁灭性的打击, 并一度给我们正处于萌芽状态的关系带来了负面的影响。
10. They are not associated with any formal role in society, nor are they in any formal relationship with another person. 他们和社会上任何正派人都不搭界，也不和其他人建立任何合乎传统习俗的联系。