名词:proportioner 动词过去式:proportioned 过去分词:proportioned 现在分词:proportioning 第三人称单数:proportions 副词:proportionably 形容词:proportionable
1 [C] comparative part or share of a whole; fraction 部分; 份儿; 局部
*a large proportion of the earth's surface 地球表面的大部分
* The proportion of the population still speaking the dialect is very small. 只有少数居民仍使用这种方言.
* A fixed proportion of the fund is invested in British firms. 资金中有一固定部分是投资于英国企业的.
2 [U] ~ (of sth to sth) relation of one thing to another in quantity, size, etc; ratio 一物与他物在数量、大小等方面的关系; 比例; 比
*The proportion of imports to exports (ie excess of imports over exports) is worrying the government. 进口与出口的比例（入超）令政府担忧.
* the proportion of passes to failures in the final examination 期末考试中及格者与不及格者的比例
* What is the proportion of men to women in the population? 人口中男女的比例是多少?
3 [U, C usu pl 作不可数名词或可数名词, 後者通常作复数] correct or ideal relation in size, degree, etc between one thing and another or between the parts of a whole 均衡; 匀称; 协调; 和谐
*the classical proportions of the room 这房间的匀称协调
* The two windows are in admirable proportion. 这两扇窗户十分相称.
4 proportions[pl] measurements or dimensions; size 面积; 体积; 规模; 程度; 大小
*a ship of impressive proportions 巨大的船
* a painting of huge proportions 一幅巨画.
5 [U] (mathematics 数) relationship between four numbers in which the ratio of the first two equals the ratio of the second two 比例
*`4 is to
6 is to 12' is a statement of proportion. ｀4比8与6比12的比例相等＇是一种有关比例的陈述.
6 (idm 习语) ,in `proportion
(a) in the correct relation to other things 相称; 符合比例
*Try to draw the figures in the foreground in proportion. 要把前景中的人物画得合比例.
* Her features are in proportion, ie are of the correct size relative to each other. 她五官端正.
* get/see things in proportion 办事情[看问题]恰如其分
* Try to see the problem in proportion -- it could be far worse. 看问题要恰如其分--事情有可能糟得多.
(b) (mathematics 数) having equal ratios 有相同的比值
* 5/8 and 10/16 are in proportion. 5/8 和 10/16 比值相同. in proportion to sth relative to sth 相对于某事物来说; 与某物成比例
*The room is wide in proportion to its height. 这房间就其高度的比例而言是很宽的.
* Payment will be in proportion to the work done, not to the time spent doing it. 报酬将与工作量成比例, 而不是与花费的时间成比例. ,out of `proportion (to sth) in the wrong relation (to other things) 不相称; 不成比例
*The figures of the horses in the foreground are out of proportion.前景中的马画得不成比例.
* Her head is out of proportion to the size of her body. 她的头部与身体大小不成比例. out of (all) proportion to sth too large, serious, etc in relation to sth 对某事物来说过大、过于严重等
*prices out of all proportion to income 与收入完全脱节的高价
* punishment that was out of all proportion to the offence committed 罚不当罪.
1. But studies have found that although fathers' income usually exceeds mothers' income, women usually contribute a larger proportion of their income to their household, while men keep more for their personal use, such as for entertainment. 但已有研究发现，尽管父亲的收入通常要超过母亲的收入，母亲通常会将自己大部分的收入用于家庭，而父亲却多用于个人消费，如娱乐等。
2. Is as the proportion of the total vocabulary of his mother tongue against those words of his own baby talk that are taken up into the vernacular of his family. 就好像他本国语言的总词汇量和自己咿呀学语时他家庭所接纳的他的词汇量之比。
3. We are lucky in that only the lower fields, which make up a very small proportion of our farm, are affected by flooding, 值得庆幸的是，只有低洼的受到洪水影响，而低洼地在我们农场比例很小。
4. The proportion of imports to exports is worrying the government. 进出口的比例令政府担忧。
5. Despite their short time on Earth, however, people have brought about enormous changes to the surface of the planet — changes far out of proportion to the interval of time they have occupied it. 然而，尽管在地球上的时日尚短，人类却已给地球表面带来了巨大的变化——这些变化与人类占据地球的短暂时间相比，是远远不成比例的。
6. A large proportion of America's young men — one third or more — simply say they don't know what they're going to do as adults. 很大比例的美国男青年--三分之一或更多--只是说他们不知道在成年以后要做什么。