动词过去式:retired 过去分词:retired 现在分词:retiring 第三人称单数:retires
re-=again,back 变化型 red-,ren-
1 (a) [I, Ipr] ~ (from sth) give up one's regular work, esp because of age 退职;退役; （尤指）退休
*retire early, ie before reaching retirement age 提前退休（未达退休年龄）
* retire on a pension at
* He will retire from the army/his directorship next year. 他明年从部队退役[从主管职位上退休].
* the retiring union leader 行将退休的工会领导人.
(b) [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] cause (an employee) to do this 使（雇员）退职或退休
*I was retired on full pay. 给我全薪让我退休了. Cf 参看 resign 1.
2 [I, Ipr] ~ (from...) (to...) (fml 文) (of an army, etc) withdraw voluntarily, esp in order to reorganize, etc （指军队等）主动撤退（尤指以休整等为目的）
*Our forces retired to prepared positions. 我们的部队撤退到既设阵地上. Cf 参看 retreat.
3 [I, Ipr]
(a) ~ (from...) (to...) (fml 文) retreat or go away, esp to somewhere quiet or private 退下, 退出, 离开（尤指到僻静处）
*The jury retired (from the courtroom) to consider their verdict. 陪审团退庭以考虑如何裁断.
* After lunch he retired to his study. 他午饭後就到书房去了.
(b) ~ (to sth) (fml or joc 文或谑) go to bed 就寝
*I decided to retire early with a book. 我决定带本书早点就寝.
4 [La, I, Ipr] ~ (from sth) (in sport) withdraw voluntarily from a game, match, etc （体育运动中）主动退出比赛等
*The boxer retired from the contest with eye injuries. 该拳击手因眼部受伤而退出比赛.
* The batsman retired hurt. 击球员因伤退场.
1500-1600; Language: Old French;Origin:
tirer 'to pull'
to stop working, usually because you have reached a certain age Most people retire at 65. He was forced to retire early because of poor health.retire from I retired from teaching three years ago. her decision to retire from her position as librarian of the law society Her drink problem has forced her to retire from public life .retire as He retired as a GP last year.b) [T usually passive]
to ask someone to stop doing their job, usually because of ill health He became ill and was retired early.【QUIET PLACE】 [I]formal
to go away to a quiet placeretire to I retired to my room to think.【JURY】 [I]
when a jury
in a law court retires, they go away to consider whether someone is guilty or not【GAME/RACE】 [I]
to stop competing in a game or race because you are losing or injured He had to retire with a neck injury in the second half.【BED】 [I]literary
to go to bed【ARMY】 [I]
to move back from a battle after being defeated
1. Are you really going to retire, Miss Marsh? 马什小姐，您真的准备退休吗？
2. At her London Hotel today Miss Marsh told reporters she might retire. 今天在伦敦旅馆，马什小姐告诉记者她可能要退休。
3. She said she was going to retire. 她说她准备退休。
4. So it was settled; and as the fire was nearly out and it was getting late, they prepared to retire for the night. 事情谈妥了，火也渐渐熄灭，而且夜已深，他们便准备就寝。
5. I´m going to retire. 我准备退休了。