1 [sing] work, etc that one has undertaken; task or enterprise 任务; 事业; 企业
*a commercial, financial, etc undertaking商业、金融等企业
* Small businesses are a risky undertaking.小型企业要担很大的风险.
* Getting married is a serious undertaking. 结婚是件大事.
2 ~ (that.../to do sth) (fml 文) promise or guarantee 答应; 许诺; 保证; 担保
*an undertaking that the loan would be repaid 一项偿还贷款的担保
* She gave a solemn undertaking to respect their decision. 她郑重地保证尊重他们的决定.
n [U] business of an undertaker 殡仪业.
[C usually singular]
an important job, piece of work, or activity that you are responsible for
Starting a new business can be a risky undertaking.
a promise to do something
Both organizations gave an undertaking to curb violence among their members.
the business of an undertaker
1. For fear the agents of other firms should be able to trace the kind of research they are likely to be undertaking. 他们生怕别的公司的情报人员据此摸到他们可能要从事的某项科研项目。
2. The following are a few examples of countries undertaking new environmental initiatives. 下面就是几个正在采取环境保护新举措的国家的例子。