动词过去式:hunted 过去分词:hunted 现在分词:hunting 第三人称单数:hunts
1 [I, Tn] chase (wild animals or game) and try to kill or capture them, for food or sport 打猎; 猎取（野生禽兽）
*go hunting 去打猎
* Wolves hunt (ie pursue their prey) in packs. 狼是成群猎食的.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn] ~ (for sth/sb) search for (sth/sb); try to find (sth/sb) 搜索（某物[某人]）; 试图找到（某物[某人]）
*hunt for a lost book 寻找一本失去的书
* I've hunted everywhere but I can't find it. 我到处都找遍了, 就是找不到.
* Police are hunting an escaped criminal. 警方正在追捕逃犯.
3 [Tn.pr, Tn.p] drive or chase (sth) away; pursue (sth) with hostility 赶走, 驱逐（某物）; 追逐, 追击（某物）
*hunt the neighbour's cats out of the garden 把邻居的猫赶出花园.
4 [Tn] (Brit)
(a) (in fox-hunting) follow the hounds through or in (a district) （猎狐活动中）随猎狗通过或进入（某区域）
*hunt the country 在郊野猎狐.
(b) use (a horse or hounds) in hunting 用（马或猎狗）打猎.
(c) act as master or huntsman of (a pack of hounds) 带（一群猎狗）打猎.
5 (idm 习语) run with the hare and hunt with the hounds => hare.
6 (phr v) hunt sb/sth down pursue sb/sth until he/it is found 对某人[某物]穷追到底
*hunt down a criminal 追捕罪犯. hunt sth out search for sth (esp an object that has been put away or is no longer in use) until it is found 找出（尤指闲置或不复使用之物）
*hunt out an old diary 找出一本旧日记. hunt sth up search for sth (esp sth hidden and difficult to find) 寻找某物（尤指隐蔽而不易发现的）
*hunt up references in the library 在图书馆里查找参考资料.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
1 In British English go hunting refers to the sport of chasing and killing foxes with dogs while on horseback. 在英式英语中, go hunting指骑马带狗猎狐的体育活动. The riders in charge of the hunt are called huntsmen and the event is a hunt. 这种骑马猎狐者叫huntsmen, 这种猎狐活动叫hunt. *A hunter chases big game, eg lions, elephants, etc. *hunter指以大猎物（如狮、象等）为目标的狩猎者. Shooting is the killing of game birds, deer and other animals for sport. *shooting指猎杀野鸟、鹿及其他动物的体育活动.
2 In US English hunting relates to the shooting of deer or game birds by a hunter. 在美式英语中, hunting指hunter猎杀鹿或野鸟.
1 [C] (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) act of hunting wild animals; chase 打猎
2 [C usu sing 通常作单数] act of looking for sth; search 寻找; 搜索
*I had a good hunt for that key. 那把钥匙我找了好一阵子.
* He found it after a long hunt. 他找了很长时间才把它找到.
* The police are on the hunt for further clues. 警方正进一步寻找线索.
* The hunt is on for the culprit. 正在搜捕该罪犯.
3 (esp Brit)
(a) [CGp] group of people who regularly hunt foxes, etc with horses and hounds （经常骑马带狗猎狐等的）打猎队伍.
(b) [C] district in which they hunt （可作猎狐活动的）猎区, 猎场.
1. The hunt for the puma began in a small village where a woman picking blackberries saw ´a large cat´ only five yards away from her. 搜寻美洲狮的工作是从一座小村庄开始的。那里的一位妇女在采摘黑莓时的看见"一只大猫"，离她仅5码远，
2. The hunt went on for several weeks, but the puma was not caught. 搜寻工作进行了好几个星期，但始终未能逮住那只美洲狮。
3. He may hunt, beg, or steal occasionally to keep himself alive; 为了生存，他可能会去打猎、乞讨，偶尔偷上一两回；
4. Did you ever hunt rabbits? 你曾猎过兔子吗?
5. Some scientists and popular authors go so far as to suggest that the triangle is a place where beings from outer space hunt human specimens for their "zoos". 有些科学家和通俗作家居然猜测此三角地带是外星人为他们的"动物园"捕捉人类标本之地。
6. Millions of people hunt and fish for a living. 成百万人以打猎和捕鱼为生。