n.种族,种族气质,种族特征,赛跑,急流,姜根 vi.赛跑,疾走 vt.与...赛跑,使空转
动词过去式:raced 过去分词:raced 现在分词:racing 第三人称单数:races
1 ~ (against/with sb/sth); ~ (between A and B)
(a) [C] contest of speed between runners, horses, vehicles, etc to see which reaches a certain place first, or does sth first （人、马、车等的）速度竞赛
*a `horse-race 赛马
* a `boat-race 划船比赛
* a half-`mile race 半英里赛跑
* run a race with sb 同某人赛跑
* We had a race (ie a great hurry) to repair the house before winter. 我们争取在冬季到来以前修好房子.
(b) the races [pl] =race-meeting
*a day at the races 赛马大会的一天. =>Usage at sport 用法见sport.
2 competition or rivalry 比赛; 竞争
*the race for the presidency 总统竞选.
3 [C] strong fast current of water in a river, the sea, etc （河、海等的）急流
*a tidal race 潮汐引起的急流
* a `mill-race, ie a channel taking water to the wheel of a water-mill 磨坊水磨的进水槽.
4 (idm 习语) a ,race against `time desperate effort to do or finish sth before a certain time 和时间赛跑
*It was a race against time to stop people dying from starvation. 为抢救那些即将饿死的人而分秒必争. the rat race => rat.
1 (a) [I, Ipr, It] ~ (against/with sb/sth) take part in a race 参加速度竞赛
*race for the prize/to win the prize 参加有奖速度比赛
* The lorries were racing against each other. 一辆辆的卡车在争先恐後地行驶.
* The cars raced round the track. 汽车围着跑道进行比赛.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] compete with (sb/sth) in speed 与（某人[某事物]）进行速度竞赛
*I'll race you to school, ie try to get there before you do. 我要和你比赛看谁先到学校.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, It] move very fast 急速移动
*race along (the road) （沿路）飞奔
* The policeman raced after the thief. 警察追着那个贼.
* The days seemed to race by/past. 光阴似箭.
* We had to race to catch the train. 我们得快走, 好赶上火车. =>Usage at run1 用法见run1.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] cause (sb/sth) to move very fast 使（某人[某物]）急速移动
*The patient had to be raced to hospital. 病人得火速送往医院.
3 [I, Tn] compete in (esp) horse-racing or cause (eg a horse, vehicle) to compete in races 赛（尤指赛马）; 使（马、车等）进行速度竞赛
*She races at all the big meetings. 她参加所有大规模的赛马比赛.
* race pigeons, dogs, etc 信鸽比赛、赛狗
* race saloon cars, bikes, etc in rallies 在公路赛车会上赛轿车、自行车等
* The filly has been raced twice this season. 这匹小牝马本季度曾两次参赛.
4 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) operate at high speed （使某物）高速 运转
*Don't race your engine, ie make it run fast when not in gear. 不要让发动机空转.
* The driver waited for the green light, his engine racing. 那司机等候绿灯放行, 让发动机空转着.
1 [C, U]
(a) any of several large subdivisions of mankind sharing physical characteristics, eg colour of skin, colour and type of hair, shape of eyes and nose 人种; 种族
*the Caucasian, Mongolian, Negro, etc race 高加索、蒙古、黑色等人种
* people of mixed race 混血种的人.
(b) [C] any of the main species, breeds or varieties of animals or plants （动植物的）类, 属, 种, 族
*the human race, ie mankind 人类
* breed a race of cattle that can survive drought 饲养能耐乾旱的一种牛.
2 [C] group of people with a common culture, history, language, descent, etc 民族
*the Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, Nordic, etc races 盎格鲁 撒克逊、日耳曼、北欧日耳曼等民族
* The British are an island race. 英国人是以岛为家的民族.
3 [U] (fml 文) ancestry; descent 世系; 血统
*people of ancient and noble race 古老贵族的後裔.
1. Because they destroy so many insects, and insects include some of the greatest enemies of the human race. 因为它们能消灭那么多的昆虫，其中包括一些人类的大敌。
2. Both these ships set out from Shanghai on June 18th, 1872 on an exciting race to England. 两船于1872年6月18日同时从上海启航驶往英国，途中展开了一场激烈的比赛。
3. Banks stocked with the frozen sperm of geniuses already exist, but they haven't created a master race because few women are queuing up to get pregnant this way. 已经有了贮存天才的冷冻精子的精子库，但它们还没有生成一个优等族，原因是很少有妇女排队等候以这种方式怀孕。
4. We must fight to see that no one is refused his rights because of race or colour. 我们必须斗争直到不因人种和肤色而妨碍人的权利为止。
5. There were six contestants in the swimming race. 有六个人参加游泳比赛。
6. There is no doubt that if she had not lost her rudder she would have won the race easily. 如果它没有失去舵，无疑它会轻而易举地赢得这次比赛。
7. There is a car race near our town every year. 每年在我们镇附近有一次汽车比赛.
8. The next race was the women´s relay race , and it promised to be an exciting one. 下一个赛跑项目是女子接力赛，看来将是一场激动人心的比赛。
9. There were eight runners in the final race of the day. 那天参加赛跑决赛的有八名选手。
10. There is a car race near our town every year. 每年在我们镇附近有一次汽车比赛.