形容词:wantless 名词:wanter 动词过去式:wanted 过去分词:wanted 现在分词:wanting 第三人称单数:wants
/wɒnt; [US] wɔ:nt; wɔnt/
1 [Tn, Tt, Tnt, Tsg, Cn.n/a] have a desire for (sth); wish for 要, 想要（某事物）; 希望
*They want a bigger flat. 他们想要一套大些的单元房.
* Have you decided what you want? 你决定要什么了吗?
* The staff want a pay rise. 全体职员希望增加工资.
* She wants to go to Italy. 她要去意大利.
* She wants me to go with her. 她想让我跟她一起去.
* I didn't want that to happen. 我并不希望发生这样的事.
* I want it (to be) done as quickly as possible. 我希望这件事尽快做好.
* I don't want you arriving late. 我希望你不要迟到.
* The people want him as their leader. 大家都想让他当领袖. =>Usage 见所附用法.
2 [Tn, Tg] require or need (sth) 要, 要求, 需要（某事物）
*We shall want more staff for the new office. 我们的新办公室需要多增加些职员.
* Let me know how many copies you want. 告诉我你要多少份.
* (infml 口) What that boy wants (ie deserves) is a good smack! 那个男孩子就是欠揍!
* The plants want watering/ want to be watered daily. 这些花草得天天浇水.
* I'm sure you don't want reminding of the need for discretion. 我知道无需提醒你一切需谨慎行事.
3 [Tt] (infml 口) should or ought to (do sth) 应该（做某事）
*You want to be more careful. 你应该再细心些.
* They want to remember who they're speaking to! 应该让他们明白是跟谁说话呢!
4 [Tn] (fml 文) not have enough of (sth); lack 缺乏（某事物）; 无
*He wants the courage to speak the truth. 他缺乏说实话的勇气.
* After the disaster there were many who wanted food and shelter. 这场灾难过後, 许多人既没有食物又没有住处.
5 [Tn usu passive 通常用于被动语态] require (sb) to be present; need (sb)要求（某人）在场; 需要（某人）
*You will not be wanted this afternoon. 今天下午用不着你了.
* You are wanted immediately in the director's office. 主任让你立刻到他的办公室去.
* He is wanted (for questioning) by the police, eg because he is suspected of committing a crime. 警方要找他（问话）（如因涉嫌某罪案）.
6 [Tn] feel sexual desire for (sb) 对（某人）有性欲.
7 [Tn] (used with it 与it连用) fall short by (sth) 缺少（某量）
*It still wants half an hour till midnight. 还差半小时才到午夜.
8 (idm 习语) have/want it/things both ways => both1. not
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*When expressing an offer or issuing an invitation, like is the most usual verb 表达提议或邀请时, 最常用的动词是like
*Would you like a cup of coffee? 您想要杯咖啡吗?
* Would you like to come to dinner with us next week? 您下星期来和我们一起吃饭好吗? Care (for) is more formal 用care (for)较为郑重
*Would you care for another piece of cake? 您再来一块蛋糕好吗?
* Would you care to come for a walk with me? 您来和我一起散散步好吗? Want is the most direct and informal *want一词最直接也最通俗
*Do you want a piece of chocolate? 你想来块巧克力吗?
* We're going to the cinema tonight. Do you want to come with us? 我们今天晚上去看电影. 你想和我们一起去吗?
/wɒnt; [US] wɔ:nt; wɔnt/ n
1 [C usu pl 通常作复数]
(a) desire for sth; requirement 欲望; 需要
*He is a man of few wants. 他是个没什么欲望的人.
* This book meets a long-felt want, ie has been needed for a long time. 这本书满足了盼望已久的需要（长久以来就需要有这样的书）.
(b) thing desired 想望的事物
*All their wants were provided by their host. 他们得到主人应有尽有的照顾.
2 [U, sing] ~ of sth lack or insufficiency of sth （某事物的）缺乏或不足
*The refugees are suffering for want of food and medical supplies. 难民苦于缺少食物和医药用品.
* The plants died from want of water. 这些植物因缺水而枯死了.
* She decided to accept the offer for want of anything better. 她决定接受这一提议, 因为没有更好一些的.
* She couldn't find anywhere to live, though not for want of trying, ie not because she hadn't tried. 她找不到个住处, 倒是找过不少.
3 [U] state of being poor or in need; poverty 贫穷; 匮乏; 贫困
*live in want 生活在贫困中
* Their health had suffered from years of want. 他们长年贫困影响了身体健康.
* a policy aimed at fighting want and deprivation 旨在改变民穷财尽状况的政策.4 (idm 习语) in want of sth needing sth 需要某事物
*The house is in want of repair. 这所房子该修了.
ads (infml 口 esp US) = classified advertisements (classify).