动词过去式:decided 过去分词:decided 现在分词:deciding 第三人称单数:decides 形容词:decidable 名词:decidability
cide＝to cut（切） 变化型 cise
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] settle (a dispute, an issue or a case); give a judgement on (sth) 解决（争端、问题或案件）; 对（某事物）作出判断
*The judge will decide (the case) tomorrow. 法官明天判决此案.
* It's difficult to decide between the two. 很难在这两者之间决定取舍.
* The judge decided for/against the plaintiff. 法官判决原告胜诉[败诉].
* Her argument decided the issue in his favour. 她的论据促成问题的解决对他有利.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Tn, Tf, Tw, Tt] ~ (on/against sth/sb) consider and come to a conclusion; make up one's mind; resolve 考虑後作出决定; 下决心; 决定
*With so many choices, it's hard to decide (what to buy). 有这么多可选择的, 真难决定（买什么）.
* After seeing all the candidates we've decided on (ie chosen) this one. 我们见了所有的候选人, 决定选这位.
* decide against changing one's job 决定不改变工作
* I never thought she'd decide that! 我从来没想到她会决定此事!
* It has been decided that the book should be revised. 已经决定这本书要重新修订.
* She decided not to go alone. 她决定不单独去.
(b) [Ipr, Tn, Tw] (of events, actions, etc) have an important, definite effect on (sth) （指事件、行动等）对某事物有重要的、肯定的效果
*I wanted to be a painter, but circumstances decided otherwise, ie forced me to be something else. 我本想当画家, 可是环境对我另作安排.
* A chance meeting decided my career. 偶然的会面决定了我的事业.
* This last game will decide who is to be champion. 最後一局将决定谁是冠军.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tnt] cause (sb) to reach a decision 使（某人）作出决定
*What finally decided you against it? 是什么事情使你最後决定不做此事?
* That decided me to leave my job. 那件事使我决定离职.
1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:
décider, from Latin
decidere 'to cut off, decide'
] [I and T]
to make a choice or judgment about something, especially after considering all the possibilities or arguments
→decision Has anything been decided yet?decide to do sth Tina's decided to go to Prague for her holidays.decide (that) It was decided that four hospitals should close.decide who/what/whether etc I can't decide whether I like him or not. People have a right to decide how to spend their own money.decide between sth A meeting was called to decide between the three candidates.decide for yourself
(=make your own decision) You must decide for yourself. The trainees decide among themselves what programs to take.decide against/in favour of (doing) sth He eventually decided against telling Georgina. After a long discussion, they decided in favour of (=chose) the younger applicant. [T]
to influence a situation or event so that a particular result is produced It was the penalty kick that decided the match. [T]
to be the reason for someone making a particular choice Taxes could be the deciding factor for millions of floating voters.decide sb to do sth The look he gave her decided her not to ask. [I and T]law
to make an official or legal judgment The Commission will have the power to decide disputes.decide in favour of/against sb If the Parole Board decides in his favour, the prisoner will be released.decide on/upon
[decide on/upon sth] phr v
to choose something or someone after thinking carefully Have you decided on a date for the wedding?
1. C.You decide to present your point of view; you explain your reasoning seriously to your friend. c.你决心要表明你的观点；你认真向朋友解释你的理由。
2. C.You decide to enjoy the car and to worry about the added expense later. c.你决定享受这辆汽车，以后再去为增加的开销发愁。
3. C.You decide the fairest thing is not to celebrate with the family at all; it's less trouble. c.你得出结论，不和家人一起过节最公平，这样麻烦较少。
4. What we are trying to avoid is neutrality; the only people with any qualification to decide are those who know the patient intimately and can put his or her interests first. 我们试图避免的就是中立。惟一有权做出决定的，是那些非常熟悉病人的人，能将病人的利益放在首位的人。
5. We have to decide whether to shoot and when, just like the police officer has to when faced with this situation for real. 我们必须判断是否该开枪，何时该开枪，就像警察真实地面对此情此景时必须做出判断一样。
6. Then we decide our policy by just listening to the Golden Trumpets." 随后，靠听金喇叭来决定政策。”
7. They live in England, and then decide to get divorced. 可他们住在英国，后来他们决定离婚。
8. No strings attached, and both of us can decide where this goes, if anywhere.” 不存在什么约束，我们两个人都可以决定这件事该怎样发展--如果能有所发展的话。"
9. However you decide to spend your time, one thing is certain: you will arrive at your destination fresh and uncrumpled. 不管你打算如何消磨时间，有件事是可以肯定的，即当你抵达目的地时，你感到精神焕发，毫无倦意，
10. He sees practical applications everywhere for how companies should decide whom to hire, how couples can increase the odds that their marriages will last, how parents should raise their children and how schools should teach them. 他认为这处处都用得上，如公司该如何决定聘用什么人，夫妇该如何提高婚姻延续的可能性，父母该如何培养孩子，学校该如何教育孩子。