1 [U] drifting movement 漂; 漂动; 漂流; 漂移
*the drift of the tide, current, wind, etc 潮汐、水流、风等的缓缓流动.
2 [C] (fig 比喻) continuous uncontrolled movement or tendency towards sth bad （朝坏的方面发展的）倾向, 动向, 趋势
*a slow drift into debt, war, crisis, etc 逐步走上借贷的道路、逐渐演变为战争、渐渐陷入危机.
3 [U] practice of being inactive and waiting for things to happen 不采取行动以等待事情发展的做法
*Is the Government's policy one of drift? 政府采取的是否放任自流的政策?
4 [sing] (of speech, writing, etc) general meaning or sense; gist （指讲话、写作等）主旨, 大意, 含意
*My German isn't very good, but I got the general drift of what she said. 我的德语不太好, 但她说的话我大致是明白的.
5 [C] mass of sth, esp snow or sand, piled up by the wind （风吹成的）堆积物, （尤指）雪堆, 沙堆
*deep snow-drifts （风吹成的）厚厚的积雪.
6 [U] deposits of earth, gravel, rock, etc left behind by a glacier 冰碛.
7 [U] = driftage.
1 [I, Ipr, Ip] be carried along gently by a current of air or water 飘移; 漂流
*We switched off the motor and started to drift (along). 我们关闭发动机开始滑行.
* The boat drifted down the river. 船顺河漂流而下.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip] (of snow, sand, etc) be piled into drifts by the wind （指雪、沙等）受风吹积
*Some roads are closed owing to drifting. 有些道路因积雪而封闭.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] cause (sth) to drift 使（某物）漂流, 飘动
*The logs are drifted downstream to the mill. 那些原木沿河顺水漂到工厂.
* The wind drifted the snow into a high bank, blocking the road. 风把雪吹积成长埂, 堵塞了道路.
4 [I, Ipr, Ip] (of people) move casually or aimlessly （指人）漫无目标地移动, 漂泊, 流浪
*The crowds drifted away from the stadium. 人群慢慢从体育场散去.
* She finally drifted in two hours after everyone else. 在大家到齐之後两小时, 她终于姗姗来到.
* (fig 比喻) He doesn't want a career, he's just drifting. 他并不想要个固定职业, 只是碰到什么事做什么事.
* I didn't mean to be a teacher I sort of drifted into it. 我本来没想当教师--可谓无意间当上的.
* They used to be friends, but now they've drifted apart. 他们原是朋友, 现在已经疏远了.