n.音调,音质,语调,色调,状况,品质,语气,气氛 vt.调和,增强,以特殊腔调说,配合,定音调 vi.颜色调和
动词过去式:toned 过去分词:toned 现在分词:toning 第三人称单数:tones
1 [C] sound, esp with reference to its pitch, quality, strength, etc 声音; 音调; 音质
*the ringing tones of an orator's voice 演说者宏亮的声音
* the alarm bell's harsh tone 刺耳的警钟的声音.
2 [C] manner of expression in speaking 语气; 口气; 腔调
*speak in an angry, impatient, entreating, etc tone 以愤怒、不耐烦、恳求等的语气说话
* a tone of command, reproach, regret, etc 命令、责备、抱歉等的口气
* Don't speak to me in that tone (of voice), ie in that unpleasant, insolent, critical, etc way. 别用那种腔调跟我说话.
3 [C, U] quality or character of sound produced by a musical instrument （乐器的）音质, 音色
*a violin with (an) excellent tone 音色优美的小提琴.
4 [sing] general spirit or character of sth 某事物的格调或特性
*Overall, the tone of the book is satirical/the book is satirical in tone. 总的说来, 这本书是讽刺性的.
* set the tone for/of the meeting with a conciliatory speech 以表示和解的讲话为会议定调子
* lower/raise the tone of a conversation, an occasion, an organization, ie make it worse/better 使谈话不投机[投机]、冲淡[增加]一场合的气氛、减弱[增强]一组织的声势.
5 [C] (music 音) any one of the five larger intervals between one note and the next that (together with two semitones) make up an octave 全音.
(a) tint or shade (of a colour); degree (of light) 色度; 光度
*a carpet in tones of brown and orange 有棕色和橙色交织的一块地毯.
(b) general effect of colour, light and shade 色调、明暗、影调的总体效果
*a picture in warm, dull, bright, etc tones 暖色调的、暗淡的、明亮的...画儿
* an artist's fine painting of skin tones 画家将肤色明暗处理得很好的画.
7 [U] proper firmness of the body 身体强壮
*good muscular tone 肌肉结实.
8 [C] audible signal on a telephone line （打电话时听到的）信号
*the dialling/ringing tone 表示可以拨号的嗡声[对方电话的振铃声]
* That tone means that the number is engaged. 那种声音表示该号电话占线.
* Please speak after the tone, eg as an instruction on an answering machine. 听到信号後请讲话（如应答机的提示）.
9 [C] (linguistics 语言) pitch aspect of a syllable; rise or fall of pitch in speaking 音调; 声调
*In `Are you ill?' there is usually a rising tone on `ill' , while in `He's ill' there is usually a falling tone on `ill'. 在`Are you ill?'一句中, ill一词通常用升调, 在`He's ill'一句中, ill一词通常用降调.
1 [Tn] give a particular tone of sound or colour to (sth) 使（某物）具有某种声调或色调; 给（某物）定调子或色调.
2 (phr v) tone (sth) down (cause sth to) become less intense （使某事）变得缓和
*Their enthusiasm has toned down since they discovered the cost. 他们知道了价钱之後心气儿就低了.
* You'd better tone down the more offensive remarks in your article. 你最好把你文章里的攻击性词句写得含蓄些. tone in (with sth) harmonize in colour （在颜色方面）调和, 相配合
*The new curtains tone in beautifully with the carpet. 新帘幕与地毯的颜色非常协调. tone (sth) up (cause sth to) become brighter, intenser, or more vigorous （使某事物）强化, 加强, 有力
*Exercise tones up the muscles. 运动能使肌肉结实.
Ellastone is a village in central England on the Staffordshire side of the River Dove, between Uttoxeter and Ashbourne.
1. Being laid off from work, job loss and recession (衰退) have always affected Walter Cronkite's tone of voice and the editor's page. 下岗、失业和经济不景气一直影响着沃尔特·克朗凯特的情绪和报纸的社论版。
2. The tone of his letters has sharpened recently. 他最近来信的口气变得刻薄起来.
3. They include: physical appearance, energy, rate of speech, pitch and tone of voice, gestures, expression through the eyes, and the ability to hold the interest of others. 这些优点包括：体貌、活力、语速、语音语调、手势、眼神，以及使他人对你保持兴趣的能力。
4. He continued in a quizzical tone. 他以揶揄的声调继续说.
5. His voice had a tone of sorrow for the suffering of that ancient city, and a tone of confidence, too — a feeling of belief that London would be there, no matter what it had to endure. 他的声音里表达了一种为这个古老城市遭受的苦难而感到的悲痛，同时还传递着一种信心-- 一种相信无论要去忍受什么样的苦难伦敦也将巍然屹立的信念。
6. ´So do I,´ answered the policeman in the same tone. "我也是的，"警察用同样的声调回答，
7. "Did Charles tell the little girl to say that?" he asked in a serious tone. "查尔斯真的教那女孩说这个字了吗？"他以严肃的语气问道。
8. "Open them up!" One of them thundered in a rude tone. 其中的一个人粗鲁地吼道："把它们打开！"
9. You´d better modify your tone. 你说话最好客气一点。
10. She spoke in an angry tone. 她用恼怒的口气说话。