n.改进,改良,补丁,修理部分,好转 vt.修改,改进,加快,修理,修补 vi.好转,改善,改正
名词:mender 动词过去式:mended 过去分词:mended 现在分词:mending 第三人称单数:mends 形容词:mendable
1 (a) [Tn] return (sth broken, worn out or torn) to good condition or working order; repair 修理, 修补（某物）
*mend shoes, a watch, a broken toy 修理鞋、表、破玩具. Cf 参看 fix1 4.
(b) [Tn] make (sth) better; improve 改良（某事物）; 改善
*Mend your manners! ie Don't be so rude! 要讲礼貌!
* That won't mend matters, ie improve the situation. 那于事无补.
2 [I] return to health; heal 恢复健康; 痊愈
*The injury is mending slowly. 这伤口在慢慢愈合.
3 (idm 习语) it's ,never too ,late to `mend (saying 谚) one can always improve one's habits, etc 改过不嫌迟. least said,soonest mended => say. mend one's `ways improve one's habits, way of living, etc 培养好习惯; 改进生活方式
*There's no sign of him mending his ways. 看不出他有改进生活方式的迹象.
1 damaged or torn part of sth (esp clothing, etc) that has been mended 修补过的地方; （尤指衣物的）补丁
*The mends were almost invisible. 修补过的地方几乎看不出来.
2 (idm 习语) on the `mend (infml 口) getting better after an illness, injury, etc 在康复中
*She's been very unwell, but she's on the mend now. 她原来病得很重, 现在正在康复.
1. We need an electrician to mend the iron. 我们要请电工修理熨斗.
2. There is a large hole in it and I must mend it. 屋顶上有一个大洞，我得把它补上。
3. The day after, he asked him to mend his roof for him. 第三天，他又要汉斯去帮他修理屋顶。
4. I´ll mend the hole in your blouse if you give me a needle and thread. 你要是给我针和钱，我就给你把罩衫的洞补好。
5. It is never too late to mend. 亡羊补牢，犹为未晚。