副词:protectingly 动词过去式:protected 过去分词:protected 现在分词:protecting 第三人称单数:protects
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (against/from sth) keep sb/sth safe from harm, injury, etc; defend sb/sth 保护、保卫某人[某事物]
*You need warm clothes to protect you against the cold. 你需要穿暖些以免着凉.
* The vaccine was used to protect the whole population against infection. 这种疫苗用以为全体居民预防传染病.
* The union was formed to protect the rights and interests of miners. 建立起工会是为保护矿工的权利和利益.
2 [Tn] guard (one or more industries of a country) against competition by taxing foreign goods （以徵收进口税）保护（国内工业）
*The country's car industry is so strongly protected that foreign cars are rarely seen there. 该国对汽车工业严加保护, 外国汽车甚为罕见.
1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:
, past participle of protegere, from tegere 'to cover'
] [I and T]
to keep someone or something safe from harm, damage, or illness
, protective protective Are we doing enough to protect the environment?protect sb/sth from sth The cover protects the machine from dust.protect sb/sth against sth Physical exercise can protect you against heart disease.protect against Waxing your car will help protect against rust. [T usually passive]
if an insurance company protects your home, car, life, etc, it agrees to pay you money if things are stolen or damaged or you are hurt or killed
= cover Unemployment insurance means that you are partially protected if you lose your job. [T]
to help the industry and trade of your own country by taxing or restricting foreign goods
1. But why suppose that the laws that protect our rights and dignity would not be applicable to cloned persons? 但是为什么会想到保护人类权利和尊严的法律不适用于被克隆的人呢？
2. But after independence, leaders jealous to protect their power shut them out of politics, 但是独立之后，领导者们惟恐失去自己的权力，将妇女排斥在政界之外。
3. We should protect the rights of consumers. 我们应该保护消费者的权益。
4. When Canada took similar measures to protect the supply of herring in the 1970s, the fish eventually recovered. 加拿大在20世纪70年代也曾采过取类似措施来保护鲱鱼的数量，最终鲱鱼的数量得到了恢复。
5. To protect themselves from the icy water, they had to wear special rubber suits. 湖水冰冷刺骨，他们必须穿上一种特制的橡皮服以保护自己。
6. This organization was started over twenty-one years ago. Its purpose is to protect land and public resources for people. 这个组织是在21年前成立的, 其宗旨是为人们保护土地和公共资源。
7. The government promises it will protect the region’s native people, but questions remain as to its true level of commitment. 巴西政府承诺，将保护该地区的土著居民，但人们对这个承诺的可信度仍心存疑虑。
8. These steps will principally serve the interests of the economically dominant groups who want to protect their assets and resources from the forces of change. 这些措施主要是为那些经济上处于支配地位的集团服务，这些集团希望保护他们的资产和资源不因变革而受损。
9. The stylists also emphasize that everyone is at risk and that all of us have a right to protect ourselves — regardless of marriage status. 发型设计师们也强调每个人都存在着危险，所以我们每个人都有权保护自己--不管婚姻状况如何。
10. Or protect them from sharks by surrounding them in defensive formation. 或在人们周围列队保护，使他们免遭鲨鱼伤害。