1 (a) framework of bones supporting an animal or a human body （动物或人的）骨骼, 骨架
*The child was reduced to a skeleton, ie very thin because of hunger, illness, etc. 这孩子骨瘦如 柴.
(b) such a framework, or a model of it, fixed in the position it has in the body, used esp for the purposes of study 骨架或骨架模型（尤用于科研）
*ape skeletons inthe museum 博物馆里的猿的骨架.
2 (a) any supportingstructure or framework, eg of a building 框架结构, 骨架结构（如建筑物的）
*The block is still just a skeleton of girders. 这片建筑还只是仅有主梁的骨架.
(b) outline to which details are to be added 纲要; 提要
*Her notes give us just the bare skeleton of her theory. 她的笔记只给我们提供了她的理论的梗概.
3 [attrib 作定语] having the smallest possible number of people, vehicles, etc needed to run an operation （进行一项作业所需的）最起码数量的人员、车辆等
*a skeleton crew, staff, etc 最低数量的船员、职员等
* We only have a skeleton bus service on public holidays. 在公众假期, 只有最少量的公共汽车营运.
4 (idm 习语) a skeleton in the `cupboard secret which would embarrass sb if it became known （若揭露出来可能使某人难堪的）秘密
*bribery of officials and other skeletons in the government's cupboard 政府中的官员受贿以及其他丑事.
1【bones】2【basic parts】3【thin person】4【structure】5 a skeleton in the closet6 skeleton staff/crew/service etc7【sport】
1500-1600; Language: Modern Latin;Origin:Greek
, from skeletos 'dried up'
the structure consisting of all the bones in a human or animal body the human skeletonb)
a set of these bones or a model of them, fastened in their usual positions, used for example by medical students【BASIC PARTS】 [singular]
the most important parts of something, to which more detail can be added later We agreed on a skeleton outline of the proposal.【THIN PERSON】[C]
an extremely thin person or animal The disease had reduced Harry to a skeleton.【STRUCTURE】[C]
the main structure that supports a building, bridge etc Minutes after the explosion, all that remained was the skeleton of the bridge.a skeleton in the closetalsoa skeleton in the cupboardBrE
an embarrassing or unpleasant secret about something that happened to you in the pastskeleton staff/crew/service etc
only enough workers or services to keep an operation or organization running The bus company is operating a skeleton service on Christmas Day.【SPORT】 [C, singular]
a sport in which you slide down a special ice track while lying on your front on a type of sledge
, or the vehicle you slide on
1. The burglars had used skeleton keys or entered over the balcony. 窃贼或者用了万能钥匙，或者是爬越阳台进入房间的。
2. The child was reduced to a skeleton 这孩子骨瘦如柴.
3. The terrible secret is called ´a skeleton in the cupboard´. 惊人的秘密称作"柜中骷髅"。
4. The only person I know who has a skeleton in the cupboard is George Carlton, and he is very proud of the fact. 我所认识的唯一的在柜中藏骷嵝的人便是乔治.卡尔顿，他甚至引以为自豪。
5. This was worse than ´a terrible secret´; this was a real skeleton! 这是比"骇人听闻的秘密"更加惊人的东西，这是一具真正的骷髅啊！
6. A skeleton was dangling before my eyes. 一具骷髅悬挂在眼前，
7. She lies motionless: the head seems unusually large on a skeleton body; the skin is dark yellow and hangs loosely around exaggerated bones that not even a blanket can hide; the right arm lies straight out at the side, taped cruelly to a board to secu 她一动不动地躺着：骨瘦如柴的身体使她的头显得特别大；皮肤呈暗黄色，松松地裹在嶙峋的、连毛毯也遮掩不住的骨骼上；她的右臂平伸在床边，被无情地用胶带固定在一块板上，以便能固定针头使液体滴入；左臂横放在深陷的胸部，胸口随着不均匀的呼吸一起一伏。
8. Thereby proving that the burglars had either used skeleton keys or entered over the balcony. 由此可以证明，窍贼或者是用万能钥匙，或者是翻越阳台进来的。
9. I opened the cupboard door and then stood in front of the it petrified. A skeleton was dangling before me eyes. 我打开橱门就站在橱前吓呆了。一具骷髅在我眼前摇晃。
10. It was a real skeleton! But George was unsympathetic. 这是一具地地道道的骷髅呢！但乔治却漠然置之。