vt.颠覆,推翻,扰乱,使不适,使心烦 vi.翻倒,倾覆 n.翻倒,混乱
副词:upsettingly 名词:upsetter 动词过去式:upset 过去分词:upset 现在分词:upsetting 第三人称单数:upsets
v (-tt-pt, pp upset)
1 [I, Tn](cause sth to) become overturned or spilt, esp accidentally打翻, 弄翻（某物）（尤指无意地）
*upset one's cup, the milk, a plate of biscuits 弄翻了自己的杯子、牛奶、一盘饼乾
* A large wave upset the boat. 一个巨浪打翻了船.
2 [Tn] disrupt (a plan, etc) 打乱, 扰乱（计画等）
*upset the balance of trade 打破贸易平衡
* Our arrangements for the weekend were upset by her visit. 她一来把我们周末的安排给打乱了.
* Fog upset the train timetable. 这场大雾搅乱了火车的班次.
(a) distress the mind or feelings of (sb) 使（某人）苦恼或心烦
*be emotionally upset 心烦意乱
* Don't upset yourself -- no harm has been done. 不要难过--并没有造成伤害.
* The sight of physical suffering always upsets me. 我看到身体受折磨的情形总是心惊肉跳.
* He was upset at not being invited. 人家没邀请他, 他很不痛快.
(b) cause (sb) to feel ill by disturbing his digestion 使（某人）感到肠胃不适
*Cheese often upsets her/her stomach. 她吃乳酪後常常感到不舒服[肠胃不适].
4 (idm 习语) upset the/sb's `applecart
(a) spoil a plan or disrupt an arrangement打乱计画或安排
*Her refusal to help quite upset the applecart. 她不肯帮忙, 计画也就落空了.
(b) disprove a theory 推翻一理论或说法. > upset / 5Qpset; `Qp9sZt/ n
1 [U, C] upsetting or being upset 翻倒; 扰乱; 不安
*Last-minute changes caused a great deal of upset. 出现的临时变动造成一片混乱.
* She had a major emotional upset. 她情绪上受到了沉重的打击.
2 [C] stomach disorder 肠胃不适
*(infml 口) in bed with a tummy upset 因肠胃不适而卧床.
3 (in sport) unexpected result （运动）出乎意料的结局或成绩.
1. But if you unwrap that package you will see why I was upset at first. 如果你打开那包东西看看,你就会明白我起初为什么那么难过.
2. Without knowing, people can upset nature's recycling system. 人们就是在不知不觉中扰乱了大自然的水循环系统。
3. His ailment was only an upset stomach. 他的病就是胃有点不舒服。
4. "No thanks, honey . My stomach feels upset — like it's full of knots . "不，谢谢，亲爱的。我胃不舒服，心乱如麻。
5. She was one of those imperturbable people who never get angry or upset. 她是那种从不生气也不烦恼的人.
6. Some ways that people upset nature are easy to understand. 人们搅乱大自然的某些做法是显而易见的。
7. Parents are often upset when their children praise the homes of their friends and regard it as a slur on their own cooking, or cleaning, or furniture, and often are foolish enough to let the adolescents see that they are annoyed. 当家长听到孩子赞扬自己朋友的家时，总感到不安，认为孩子在嫌弃自家的饭菜、卫生、或家具，而且愚蠢地让孩子看出自己的烦恼。
8. Max tells me he's upset with the delay. He's enraged at his own moving company. "I'm knocking $10 off the hourly rate," he says. 马克斯告诉我说，他对工作的延误感到不安。他对自己的搬家公司感到很恼火。"我决定从每小时的工钱中减去十美元，"他说。
9. George was not too upset by his experience 不过，此事并没使乔治过于伤心，
10. One thing is certain -- the balance of nature on this water planet is easily upset. 有一点是可以肯定的- 这个有水的行星上的自然平衡是十分脆弱的。