动词过去式:conceived 过去分词:conceived 现在分词:conceiving 第三人称单数:conceives 副词:conceivably 形容词:conceivable 名词:conceivability
ceive＝to take（取） 变化型 cept，cip，cipate
1 [I, Tn] become pregnant (with a child) 怀孕; 受孕
*She was told she couldn't conceive. 她得知自己不能怀孕.
* The child was conceived on the night of their wedding. 那孩子是在他们新婚之夜怀上的.
2 [Ipr, Tn, Tf, Tw, Cn.n/a] ~ of sth; ~ sth (as sth) form (an idea, a plan, etc) in the mind; imagine sth 想出（主意、计划等）; 构思; 想像某事物
*It was then that I conceived the notion of running away. 就在那时我产生了逃跑的念头.
* I cannot conceive (ie do not believe) that he would wish to harm us. 我不能想像（不相信）他会伤害我们.
* I cannot conceive why you allowed the child to go alone, ie I think you were very foolish to allow it. 我真想不通你为什么让孩子一个人走（我认为你这样做很蠢）.
* The ancients conceived (of) the world as (being) flat, ie They thought it was flat. 古人认为地球是扁的.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
conceivre, from Latin
concipere 'to take in, conceive'
, from com- ( COM-
) + capere 'to take'
] [I and T]formal
to imagine a particular situation or to think about something in a particular way(cannot) conceive of (doing) sth Many people can't conceive of a dinner without meat or fish.conceive that He could not conceive that anything really serious could be worrying his friend.conceive what/why/how etc I can hardly conceive what it must be like here in winter.conceive of sth/sb as sth Language may be conceived of as a process which arises from social interaction. [T]
to think of a new idea, plan etc and develop it in your mind Scientists first conceived the idea of the atomic bomb in the 1930's. [I and T]
to become pregnant fertility treatment for women who have difficulty conceiving
1. Because when you are inside a community, you are conditioned by the conventions of the community to such a degree that it is very difficult to conceive of anything really destructive. 因为当你生活在一个社团中时，社团的风俗习惯会严格地制约你，使你很难有破坏性的想法。
2. I can´t conceive of such a thing happening again. 我简直不能想象这样的事会重演。
3. I have often tried to conceive of what those pages might contain, 我常常试图想像这些纸上所写的东西，