v.(使)破产,(使)堕落,毁灭 n.毁灭,崩溃,(pl.) 废墟,遗迹
名词:ruiner 动词过去式:ruined 过去分词:ruined 现在分词:ruining 第三人称单数:ruins 形容词:ruinable
1 [U] severe damage or destruction 毁坏; 毁灭; 灭亡
*a city reduced to a state of ruin by war 由于战争而遭到严重破坏的城市
* The news meant the ruin of all our hopes. 这消息使我们的一切希望都破灭了.
(a) complete loss of all one's money, resources or prospects （金钱、资财的）完全丧失; （前途的）断送
*Ruin was staring her in the face. 她眼看就要倾家荡产了.
* brought to ruin by drugs 因吸毒而断送了前程.
(b) cause of this 毁灭、破产等的原因; 祸根
*Gambling was his ruin. 他堕落是因为好赌.
3 [U] state of being decayed, collapsed or destroyed 破败、坍塌或毁坏的状态
*The castle has fallen into ruin. 那城堡已破败不堪.
4 [C] remains of sth that has decayed or collapsed or been destroyed 破败、坍塌或毁坏之残余物; 废墟
*The abbey is now a ruin. 那修道院现已成废墟.
* the ruins of Pompeii 庞贝城的遗迹.
5 (idm 习语) go to rack and ruin => rack3. in `ruins in a severely damaged or decayed condition 严重受损; 破败不堪
*An earthquake left the whole town in ruins. 那次地震过後, 全城到处是颓垣断壁.
* His career is/lies in ruins. 他已前途尽毁.
1 cause the destruction of (sth/sb) 毁坏, 毁灭（某事物[某人]）
*He ruined his prospects by carelessness. 他因疏忽大意而断送了前途.
* The storm ruined the crops. 暴风雨毁坏了庄稼.
* He's a ruined man, ie has lost all his money, prospects, etc. 他已不名一文（损失了全部钱财、断送了前途等）.
* a ruined building 毁坏的建筑物.
2 (infml 口) spoil (sth/sb) 毁坏, 损害（某事物[某人]）
*The island has been ruined by tourism. 该岛毁在旅游业上了.
* It poured with rain and my dress got/was ruined. 大雨倾盆, 我的连衣裙已淋得不成样子了.
* You're ruining that child, eg by being too indulgent. 你把孩子宠坏了.
1. War begets misery and ruin. 战争是苦难与毁灭的祸根.
2. The news meant the ruin of all our hopes. 这消息使我们的一切希望都破灭了.
3. He has banned television from his home because he fears it might ruin the minds of his family. 他的家里不看电视，因为他担心电视会破坏家人的思考能力。
4. Feelings of hostility will ruin our opportunity of success. 敌对情绪会毁掉我们成功的机会。