1 [C, U] (instance of) avoidance of waste (of money, strength, time, resources, etc) （金钱、力气、时间、资源等的）节省, 节约
*practise economy 实行节约
* It's an economy to buy good shoes; they cost more, but they last much longer than cheap ones. 购买质量高的鞋很经济; 虽花钱多, 但比廉价鞋耐穿得多.
* [attrib 作定语] We're having an economy drive (ie making a special effort to avoid waste or misuse of resources, etc) at school. 我们学校正开展节约运动（尽 量避免浪费或滥用资源）.
* an economy pack, ie a large amount of a product offered for sale at a reduced price 经济装（减价发售的大包装货品）
* economy class, ie the cheapest class of (air) travel 经济舱（最低廉的客机舱位）.
2 [U] control and management of money, resources, etc of a community, society, household, etc 理财
*political economy 政治经济学
* domestic economy 国内经济.
3 [C] (often 常作 the economy) operation and management of a country's money supply, trade and industry; economic system （国家的）经济管理; 经济制度
*The state of the economy is very worrying. 目前的经济状况令人十分担忧.
* The economies of Japan and China 日本和中国的经济制度.
The Great Famine’s (Irish) Effect on The U.S.
1. Economy is one powerful motive for campinge after the initial outlay upon the equipment. 在开初支付了装备的费用后, 想省钱是露营的一个主要动机。
2. Economy is one powerful motive for camping, 图省钱是露营的一个主要动机，
3. But its economy is stuck in recession and it barely has the money to even scratch the surface of the problem. 但是由于其经济陷于低迷，几乎没有资金来着手解决最基本的问题。
4. The war caused great detriment to the nation´s economy. 战争大大损害了该国经济。
5. The state of the economy is very worrying. 目前的经济状况令人十分担忧.
6. To understand a country's economy, economists check growth in an industry such as steel. 为了了解一个国家的经济状况，经济学家对某个行业——如钢铁企业——的增长情况进行调查。
7. As countries around the world trade more with one another, more products are available. But the fast development of world economy will bring about many new problems. 随着世界各国相互之间的贸易量的增加，可买到的产品也越来越多。
8. From Eliot's viewpoint, the other key to controlling stress is to "realize that there are other troublesome parts of your life over which you can have little or no control — like the economy and politicians". 根据埃利奥特的观点，控制压力的另一关键因素是"要承认你生活中还有一些棘手的、你几乎无法或完全无法控制的东西--比如经济以及政客们。"