1 [C] group of things or parts working together as a whole 系统; 组合装置
*the nervous system 神经系统
* the digestive system 消化系统
* a railway system 铁路系统
* a stereo system, eg a record-deck, an amplifier, loud-speakers, etc combined 立体声音响设备
* The lifting device is a system of ropes and pulleys. 这种起重装置是由缆索和滑轮组成的.
2 [C] person's or animal's body as a whole, including its internal organs and processes （人或动物的）身体
*The poison has passed into his system. 毒物已进入他的体内.
* Alcohol is bad for your system. 喝酒对身体有害.
3 [C] set of ideas, theories, principles, etc according to which sth is done （思想、理论、原则等的）体系, 体制, 方法, 方式
*a system of philosophy 哲学体系
* the democratic system of government 民主政体
* a good system of teaching languages 教授语言的良好方法
* a foolproof new system for winning at roulette 轮盘赌必胜新法.
4 [U] orderly way of doing things; tidy arrangement 制度; 步骤; 条理
*You'll find little system in his method of work. 他的工作方法无甚条理.
* We must introduce some system into our office routine. 我们须在我们日常公务中建立一些制度.
5 the system [sing] (infml 口) the traditional methods, practices and rules existing in a society, an institution, a business, etc （某社会、机构、企业等中）沿袭已久的方法、做法和规则
*You can't beat the system, ie You must conform to it. 老规矩触动不得（必须照办）.
6 (idm 习语) get sth out of one's `system (infml 口) get rid of a strong feeling or desire by expressing it openly or trying to fulfil it 宣泄强烈的感情或满足强烈的愿望
*He desperately wants to be an actor, so you'll have to give him time to get it out of his system. 他渴望当演员, 你就得容他时间让他施展自己的抱负.
4 somebody's system
5 all systems go
6 the system
7 get something out of your system
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: Late Latin;Origin: systema, from Greek, from synistanai 'to combine', from syn- ( SYN-) + histanai 'to cause to stand']
a group of related parts that work together as a whole for a particular purpose
an alarm system
a well-designed heating system
the digestive system
the railway system
the banking system
a fundamental reform of the country's political system
the British system of government
an organized set of ideas, methods, or ways of working
system of/for doing sth
a system for dealing with complaints from customers
I don't understand your filing system.
under a system
Under the present system, we do not have any flexibility.
a group of computers that are connected to each other
The system has crashed. (=stopped working)
someone's body - used when you are talking about its medical or physical condition
All this overeating is not good for my system.
all systems go
used, sometimes humorously, to say that you are ready to do something or that something is ready to happen
the official rules and powerful organizations that restrict what you can do
You can't beat the system .
get sth out of your systeminformal
to do something that helps you get rid of unpleasant strong feelings
I was furious, so I went for a run to get it out of my system.
the use of sensible and organized methods
We need a bit more system in the way we organize our files.
1. Economic crisis is the inevitable outcome of the capitalist system. 经济危机是资本主义制度的必然结果。
2. Even a telescope in orbit round the earth, like the very successful Hubble telescope, would not be suitable because of the dust particles in our solar system. 即使是一台放置在围绕地球的轨道上的望远镜--如非常成功的哈勃望远镜--也因为太阳系中的尘埃微粒而无法胜任。
3. Explaining his approach to education, Joe Gauld says the conventional education system cannot be reformed. 在解释自己的教育方法时，乔·高尔德指出，传统的教育体制不能只是改革。
4. Explosions of rage pump up the brain's arousal system, leaving you more angry, not less. 怒气的爆发激起了大脑的兴奋系统，使人更加愤怒，而不是相反。
5. Britain won't improve its system until after the year 2000, spurring Mitterrand to joke that passengers will have " plenty of time for sightseeing ". 不到2000年，英国不会改善它的铁路系统，这使密特朗不由地开起了玩笑，说乘客会有 "足够的时间一饱眼福"。
6. But he added, "You don't have to know how everything is put together, just how the system operates. 但他又补充道："可你无须知道各部件是怎样组装的，只要知道系统怎样操作就行了。
7. But after a few years in a system that practically requires people to lie, they become like the one I shall call "Suzanne", a detective in shorts. 可是在这个实际上是要人撒谎的系统里干了几年后，他们就变得与那个叫苏珊娜的人一样了--一个穿运动短裤的侦探。
8. Because of its strong educational system in mathematics and science, it should thrive in the information age. 由于其坚实的数学和科学教育基础，它应该在信息时代有繁荣的发展。
9. We have established socialist system. 我们已经建立了社会主义制度。
10. Workmen put in a proper drainage system and supplied pure drinking water. 工人安装了合适的排水装置，提供纯净的饮用水。