n ~ (to sth) person with the legal right to receive property, etc when the owner dies 继承人
*be heir to a large fortune, a title, the throne 是大笔财产、头衔、王位的继承人
* She made her stepson (her) heir. 她让丈夫与前妻生的儿子做自己的继承人.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin heres]
the person who has the legal right to receive the property or title of another person when they die
John was the sole heir to a vast estate.
heir to the throne
(=the person who will become king or queen)
the person who will take over a position or job after you, or who does things or thinks in a similar way to you
Jonson was his political heir as leader of the Nationalist Party.
1. By a cunning trick he became heir of the rich widow. 他策划了一个狡猾的计谋, 成了这有钱寡妇的继承人。
2. He is heir to the crown. 他是王位继承人。
3. He is the legitimate heir to the property. 他是这宗财产的合法继承人。
4. He moved back to Hiroshima at 40; it was expected of him as the sole male heir to their name. 40岁时他又把家搬回了广岛。他作为这个姓氏的惟一男性继承人，家人都盼望他这样做。
5. A family name becomes defunct when the only heir dies without any son. 当唯一的继承人死去了之后没儿子，那这个姓就要绝迹了。