动词过去式:bred 过去分词:bred 现在分词:breeding 第三人称单数:breeds
v (pt, pp bred/ bred; brZd/)
1 [I] (of animals) produce young （指动物）生育, 繁殖
*How often do lions breed? 狮子多长时间产一次仔?
2 [Tn] keep (animals) for the purpose of producing young, esp by selecting the best parents for mating 饲养（动物）（尤指为选种繁殖的）
*breed cattle, dogs, horses, etc 养牛、狗、马等.
3 [esp passive 尤用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n/a, Cn.t] ~ sb (as sth) bring up; train; educate 养育; 训练; 教育
*a well-bred child 有教养的孩子
* Spartan youths were bred as warriors. 斯巴达青年被培养成战士.
4 [Tn] lead to (sth); cause 导致（某事物）; 造成
*Dirt breeds disease. 污秽导致疾病丛生.
* Unemployment breeds social unrest. 失业能造成社会不安定.
5 (idm 习语) born and bred => born. familiarity breeds contempt => familiarity.
1 family or variety of animals, etc having a similar appearance and usu developed by deliberate selection （动物等的）品种（通常为特意繁殖的）
*a breed of cattle, sheep, etc 牛、羊等的品种
* What breed is your dog? 你的狗是什么品种的?
2 type; kind 类型; 种类
*a new breed of politician 新式的政治家.
1. But there's a vast difference between the breeding programs as practiced by some groups (where the urge to breed certain types of people leads to efforts to destroy other types) and the much more harmless forms already practiced in democratic societi 但是，某些团体实施的培育项目和在民主社会里已经实施的更为无害的培育方式，二者之间存在着天壤之别：前者为迫切地培育某类人而对其余的人进行毁灭，而后者，比如说律师，则是通过自由地选择与别的律师发生性关系得以实现。
2. They will try to find out once she's old enough to breed. 他们会等到多莉到了生育年龄时再寻找答案。
3. How often do lions breed? 狮子多长时间产一次仔?
4. Another disturbing thought is that cloning will lead to efforts to breed individuals with genetic qualities perceived as desirable (math geniuses, soccer players, etc.). 另一个引人不安的想法是，克隆会使人们致力于培育具有理想基因质的个人（如数学天才、足球运动员等）。
5. It is easy to see how crime can breed in such a squalid neighborhood. 显而易见, 在这样的贫民区里怎能不孕育出犯罪的行为。