/'hɒstaɪl; [US] -tl; `hɑstl/
1 ~ (to/towards sb/sth)
(a) showing strong dislike or enmity; very unfriendly 显示极厌恶的; 含敌意的; 极不友好的
*a hostile crowd, glance, review, reception 怀有敌意的群众、一瞥、评论、接待
* She found his manner towards her distinctly hostile. 她觉得他对她的态度极不友好.
(b) [usu pred 通常作表语] showing rejection of sth; opposed to sth 对某事物持否定态度; 反对某事物
*be hostile to reform 反对改革.
2 of an enemy; warlike 敌人的; 敌方的; 敌对的
*hostile aircraft 敌机.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:Latin hostilis, from hostis 'stranger, enemy']
angry and deliberately unfriendly towards someone and ready to argue with them
Southampton fans gave their former coach a hostile reception .
Carr wouldn't meet Feng's stare, which was openly hostile .
his hostile attitude
The boy feels hostile towards his father.
opposing a plan or idea very strongly
Senator Lydon was hostile to our proposals.
belonging to an enemy
used to describe conditions that are difficult to live in, or that make it difficult to achieve something
hostile environment/climate/terrain etc
a guide to surviving in even the most hostile terrain
Sales increased last year despite the hostile economic environment.
a situation in which a company tries to buy another company which does not want to be bought
1. But people who are cut off not only from foreign tourists, but even from their own countrymen can be hostile to travellers. 但是，那些不但与外国旅游者隔绝，而且与本国同胞隔绝的人们有可能对游客抱有敌意。
2. After you deal with your hostile feelings, recognition of the temporary nature of culture shock begins. 在你对付过了自己的敌对情绪后，你就会开始认识到文化冲击的短暂性。
3. At dinner afterwards I was subjected to a hostile quizzing by a group of women in their thirties who claimed that my whole analysis ignored the most basic change of all. 在随后的晚宴上，一群三十多岁的女士对我颇不友好地质问攻击了一番。她们声称我的整个分析忽视了家庭变革中最基本的变化。
4. She found his manner towards her distinctly hostile. 她觉得他对她的态度极不友好.
5. She said women in Embu celebrated. Men were puzzled; some were hostile. 她说恩布市的妇女为此兴高采烈，而男人们则很不解，甚至有些心怀敌意。
6. Learn to be less hostile by changing some of your attitudes and negative thinking. 通过改变你的某些看法和消极思想，学会对事物不再抱有那么强烈的敌视态度。