1 [U] the whole universe and every created, not man-made, thing 宇宙和（非人造的）万物; 自然界; 大自然
*the wonders of nature 大自然的奥妙
* This phenomenon is unique in (the whole of) nature. 这种现象在（整个）自然界是罕见的.
* [attrib 作定语] nature worship 自然崇拜.
2 [U] simple life of man before he became civilized （文明前的）简朴生活
*He wants to give away all his modern possessions and return to nature. 他要舍弃一切时髦的东西而归真返璞.
3 [U] (esp 尤作 Nature) force(s) controlling the events of the physical world 大自然的力量
*Man is engaged in a constant struggle with Nature. 人类与大自然进行不懈的斗争.
* Miracles are contrary to nature. 奇迹是与大自然的力量相对的.
4 (a) [C, U] typical qualities and characteristics of a person or an animal （人或动物的）本性, 天性
*It's his nature (ie It's his natural reaction)to be kind to people. 他为人厚道.
* There is no cruelty in her nature. 她心地善良.
* Cats and dogs have quite different natures dogs like company, cats are independent.猫和狗的习性迥异--狗喜欢有伴, 猫爱独来独往.
* She is proud by nature. 她生性傲慢.
(b) [sing] qualities of a material or non-material thing 性质
*Chemists study the nature of gases. 有的化学家研究气体的性质.
* He knows nothing of the nature of my work. 他一点也不了解我的工作性质.
5 [sing] sort; kind 种类; 类别
*Things of that nature do not interest me. 我对那种事物不感兴趣.
6 (idm 习语) against `nature unnatural; immoral 违反自然的; 不合情理的; 不道德的. one's better feelings/nature => better1. a call of nature => call1. in the nature of sth similar to/like sth; a type of sth 与某事物相似[类似]; 某事物之类
*His speech was in the nature of an apology. 他讲的话就算是道歉. in a state of nature => state1. second `nature (to sb) what seems natural or instinctive, but has been learned 第二种天性（学得的近于天生的或本能的事物）
*After a while, driving becomes second nature to you. 过不多久, 开车的动作就像本能的反应一样了.
1【plants/animals etc】2【somebody's character】3【qualities of something】4【type】5 in the nature of things6 be in the nature of something7 let nature take its course8 back to nature
1200-1300; Language: French;Origin:Latin
natura, from natus; NATION
everything in the physical world that is not controlled by humans, such as wild plants and animals, earth and rocks, and the weather We grew up in the countryside, surrounded by the beauties of nature. nature conservationthe laws/forces of nature The inhabitants of the island fight a constant battle against the forces of nature.in nature All these materials are found in nature. Disease is nature's way of keeping the population down.【SOMEBODY'S CHARACTER】 [U and C]
someone's character a child with a happy, easy-going naturesb's nature It's just not in Jane's nature to lie.by nature She was by nature a very affectionate person. I tried appealing to his better nature (=his feelings of kindness) but he wouldn't agree to help us. Of course she's jealous - it's only human nature (=the feelings and ways of behaving that all people have) .【QUALITIES OF SOMETHING】 [singular, U]
the qualities or features that something hasnature of They asked a lot of questions about the nature of our democracy. He examined the nature of the relationship between the two communities.exact/precise/true nature The exact nature of the problem is not well understood.different/political/temporary etc in nature Any government funding would be temporary in nature. Capitalist society is by its very nature unstable.【TYPE】 [singular]
a particular kind of thingof a personal/political/difficult etc nature The support being given is of a practical nature.of this/that nature I never trouble myself with questions of that nature.in the nature of things
according to the natural way things happen In the nature of things, there is bound to be the occasional accident.be in the nature of sthformal
to be similar to a type of thing The enquiry will be more in the nature of a public meeting than a formal hearing.let nature take its course
to allow events to happen without doing anything to change the results Sometimes the best cure for an illness is just to let nature take its course.back to nature
a style of living in which people try to live simply and not use modern machines city workers who want to get back to nature in their holidays
→be/become second nature (to sb)atsecond1
→the call of natureatcall2
1. Every solid object will reflect a sound, varying according to the size and nature of the object. 任何固体者反射声音，反射的声音因物体的大小和性质的不同而不同。
2. But, of the vertebrates, unpredictable Nature selected only snakes (and one lizard). 但是在脊椎动物中, 神秘莫测的大自然只选择了蛇(和一种蜥蜴).
3. But, of the vertebrates, unpredictable Nature selected only snakes (and one lizard). 但是在脊椎动物中, 神秘莫测的大自然只选中蛇(和一种蜥蜴)
4. But, of the vertebrates, unpredictable Nature selected only snakes (and one lizard). 然而，在脊椎动物中，大自然神秘模测地只选择了蛇（还有一种蜥蜴），
5. By having to sleep in the open, he gets far closer to the world of nature than most of us ever do. 由于被迫在露天睡觉，他比我们中许多人都离大自然近得多。
6. By itself, nature can keep the balance and provide plenty of clean water for us. Nature recycles water. 大自然本身能够保持水的平衡并给我们提供充足的净水。大自然能够使水得到反复循环利用。
7. But a series of new environmental laws, together with the creation of parks and nature preserves that cover one quarter of the country, are aimed at protecting Costa Rica’s remaining forests. 但是人们制订了一系列新的环境保护法，还新建了占四分之一国土面积的公园和自然保护区，目的是要保护哥斯达黎加现存的森林。
8. For it is impossible to foretell the exact nature of the difficulties which will confront the pot-holer. 因为无法预见到洞穴探险者究竟会遇到什么性质的困难。
9. When you adduce evidence of this nature, you must be sure of your sources. 在你提供实质性的证据时, 你必须知道这个证据的来源。
10. What is called ´modern civilization´ is not the result of a balanced development of all man´s nature, 所谓"现代文明"并不是人的天性平衡发展的结果，