动词过去式:retained 过去分词:retained 现在分词:retaining 第三人称单数:retains 形容词:retainable 名词:retainability
tain,ten,tin＝to hold,to keep（安静）
v [Tn] (esp fml 尤作文雅语)
1 keep (sth) in one's possession or use 保持或保留（某物）
*We retained the original fireplace when we decorated the room. 我们装修房间时保留了原有的壁炉.
2 continue to have (sth); not lose 仍然有（某事物）; 未丧失; 保住
*Despite losing his job he retains his pension. 他虽然失去了工作, 但仍然享有养老金.
* These roses retain their scent. 这些玫瑰花仍有余香.
* He is
90 but still retains (the use of) all his faculties. 他已90高龄, 但身体功能都很好.
* The police retained control of the situation. 警方仍然控制着局势.
3 keep (sth) in one's memory 记住（某事物）
*be able to retain numbers, dates, facts, etc 能记住数目、日期、事实等
* She retains a clear impression/memory of the incident. 她对那件事印象很深[记得很清楚].
4 keep (sth) in place; hold or contain 止住（某物）; 保持; 容纳
*A dyke was built to retain the floods. 修了一道堤坝挡住洪水.
* Clay soil retains water. 黏土能保持水分.
5 (law 律) book the services of (esp a barrister) by making a payment 付定金聘请（尤指讼务律师）
*a retaining fee 聘用定金.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin: retenir, from Latin retinere, from tenere 'to hold']
to keep something or continue to have something
You have the right to retain possession of the goods.
The state wants to retain control of food imports.
to store or keep something inside something else
A lot of information can be retained in your computer.
Limestone is known to retain moisture.
to remember information
I find it very difficult to retain facts.
if you retain a lawyer or other specialist, you pay them to work for you now and in the future
He has retained a lawyer to challenge the court's decision.
We had to pay a retaining fee (=an amount of money to keep someone working for you) .
if a company retains workers, it continues to employ them for a long time
It's increasingly difficult to recruit and retain good staff.
1. He moved all three matches from east to west and said that was what should be done — meaning that much of the new Poland should be carved out of Germany and that the Soviet Union should retain the Polish territory seized on the basis of the Nazi-Sovi 他把三根火柴全部从东部移到了西部，并且说这就是应该做的事——意思是新波兰的大部分从德国分离出来，苏联应当继续保留根据德苏条约侵占的波兰领土。
2. Called native peoples, they retain the ways of life that have remained unchanged for many generations. 他们被称为本土人，保留着历代不变的生活方式。