v (pt, pp held / held; hZld/)
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] take and keep or support (sb/sth) in one's arms, hands, teeth, etc 拿住, 抓住, 抱住, 咬住, 托住, 支撑住（某人[某物]）
*The girl was holding her father's hand. 那女孩抓住她父亲的手.
* The lovers held each other tight. 这一对情侣紧紧地搂抱着.
* They were holding hands, ie holding each other's hands. 他们手握着手.
* She was holding an umbrella. 她拿着一把伞.
* She held me by the sleeve. 她抓住我的袖子.
* She was holding the baby in her arms. 她抱着婴儿.
* He held the rope in his teeth as he climbed the tree. 他爬树时用牙齿咬着绳子.
(a) bear the weight of (sb/sth); support 承受（某人[某物]）的重量; 支承
*Is that branch strong enough to hold you/your weight? 那树枝经得住你[你的重量]吗?
(b) restrain or control (sb/sth) 约束或控制（某人[某事物]）
*Try to hold the thief until the police arrive. 设法看管好这个小偷, 等警察到来.
* The dam gave way; it was not strong enough to hold the flood waters. 水坝坍塌了; 它不够坚固, 挡不住洪水.
3 [Tn.pr, Tn.p, Cn.a] keep (oneself/sb/sth) in the specified position or condition 使（自己[某人/某物]）保持在某一位置或某种状况
*The wood is held in position by a clamp. 木头用钳夹固定住了.
* Hold your head up. 把头抬起来.
* Hold your arms out. 把手臂伸出来.
* It took three nurses to hold him down while they gave him the injection. 给他打针时, 用了三个护士才把他按住.
* She held out her hand to take the rope. 她伸手去抓那根绳子.
* Hold yourself still for a moment while I take your photograph. 你不要动, 我给你拍照.
4 (a) [I] remain secure or in position 保持稳定或固定
*How long will the anchor hold? 这锚能稳住多久?
* I don't think the shelf will hold if we put anything else on it. 我看再放上其他东西那架子就不稳了.
(b) remain unchanged; last 持续; 维持
*How long will this fine weather hold? 这样的好天气能维持多久?
* If their luck holds, they could still win the championship. 他们假若能继续交好运, 还能获得冠军.
(c) continue to be true or valid 继续适用; 继续有效
*The offer I made to you last week still holds. 上星期我向你提供的建议仍然有效.
* The argument still holds. 该论据仍然站得住脚.
5 [Tn] (of the wheels of a car, etc) maintain a grip of (a corner, road, etc) （指汽车等的轮子）贴紧, 咬住（拐角、道路等）
*My new car holds the road well. 我的新汽车贴路性能很好.
6 [Tn] have enough space for (sth/sb); contain 可容纳（某物[某人]）; 包含
*This barrel holds
25 litres. 这个桶能装25升.
* Will this suitcase hold all my clothes? 这只衣箱装得下我所有的衣物吗?
* I don't think the car will hold you all. 我看这辆汽车坐不下你们这些人.
* My brain can't hold so much information at one time. 我脑子一下子记不住这么多信息.
* (fig 比喻) Who knows what the future holds for us? 谁能知道我们未来会如何?
7 [Tn] defend (sth) against military attack; keep possession of 守卫（某物）; 据守
*hold a fort, garrison, etc 据守堡垒、要塞等
* The town was held against frequent enemy attacks. 该城抵御了敌人一次又一次的进攻.
* The Tory candidate held the seat, but with a greatly reduced majority. 保守党的候选人保住了席位, 然而在得票上所占的优势却大为减少.
8 [Tn, Cn.n] keep (sb) and not allow him to leave 拘留（某人）
*Police are holding two men in connection with last Thursday's bank robbery. 警方拘留了两名与上星期四的银行劫案有关的人.
* The terrorists are holding three men hostage. 恐怖分子把三个人扣为人质.
* He was held prisoner throughout the war. 他在战争期间一直被囚禁着.
9 [Tn] have ownership of (sth); possess 握有（某事物）; 占有
*An American conglomerate holds a major share in the company. 一家美国的大联合企业持有该公司的大部分股份.
10 [Tn] have the position of (sth); occupy 担任（某职位）; 占据
*She has now held the post of Prime Minister longer than anyone else this century. 她现在当首相任期之长在本世纪是前所未有的.
* How long has he held office? 他已任职多长时间了?
11 [Tn] have (sth) as sth one has gained 获得, 博得, 赢得, 持有（某事物）
*She holds the world record for the long jump. 她保持着跳远世界纪录.
12 [Tn] keep (sb's attention or interest) by being interesting 使（某人的注意力或兴趣）不减
*A good teacher must be able to hold her pupils' attention. 优秀的教师一定能吸引住学生.
13 [Tn] have (a belief, an opinion, a view, etc) 怀有, 持有（某种信念、见解、观点 等）
*He holds strange views on religion. 他对宗教问题持有奇怪的看法.
* I hold the view that the plan cannot work. 我认为那个计画不可行.
14 [Tf, Cn.a, Cn.t] (fml 文) believe, consider or regard 相信; 认为; 视作
*I hold that the government's economic policies are mistaken. 我认为政府的经济政策是错误的.
* I hold the parents responsible for their child's behaviour. 我认为父母应对子女的行为负责.
* I hold him to be a fool. 我认为他是个傻瓜.
15 [Tn] cause (a meeting, conference, etc) to take place 召开, 举行（会议、大会等）
*The meeting will be held in the community centre. 会议将在社区活动中心举行.
* We hold a general election every four or five years. 我们每四五年举行一次大选.
* The Motor Show is usually held in October. 汽车展览会通常在十月份举行.
(a) (of a ship or an aircraft) continue to move in (a particular direction) （指船只或飞行器）继续朝（某一方向）航行
*The ship is holding a south-easterly course. 船只继续朝东南方向航行.
(b) (of a singer) continue to sing (a note) （指歌唱者）继续唱（某音符）
*hold a high note 持续唱着高音.
17 [I, Tn] wait until the person one has telephoned is ready to speak 等对方接电话
*Mr Crowther's extension is engaged at the moment; will you hold (the line)? 克劳瑟先生的电话分机正占着线呢, 您稍等一下好吗?
18 (idm 习语) hold `good remain true or valid 仍然适用; 仍然有效
*The same argument doesn't hold good in all cases. 同一论点并非对所有情况都适用. `hold it (infml 口) (used to ask sb to wait, or not to move 用以请求某人等候或不要活动)
*Hold it a second I don't think everyone's arrived yet. 稍等片刻吧--我看人还没有到齐呢. there is no holding sb sb cannot be prevented from doing sth 什么也拦不住某人做某事
*Once she gets onto the subject of politics there's no holding her. 她一谈起政治, 就没完没了. (For other idioms containing hold, see entries for ns, adjs, etc 与hold搭配的其他习语见有关名词、形容词等的词条, 如 hold the fort => fort; hold sb/sth dear => dear. )
19 (phr v) hold sth against sb (infml 口) allow sth to influence one's judgement or opinion of sb 让某事物影响自己对某人的评价或看法
*He's afraid that his criminal record will be held against him when he applies for jobs. 他担心自己有前科不好找工作.
* I don't hold it against him that he votes Conservative. 我并不因为他投了保守党的票而对他有看法.
1 (a) [sing] act or manner of holding sb/sth; grasp; grip 拿; 抓; 抱; 咬; 托; 支撑
*She kept a firm hold of her little boy's hand as they crossed the road. 横过马路时, 她紧紧地牵着她那小男孩的手.
* He lost his hold on the rope. 他未能抓住绳索.
(b) [C] particular way of holding an opponent, etc 抓紧对手等的某种方式; 擒拿（法）
*wrestling holds 摔交中的擒拿法.
2 [sing] ~ (on/over sb/sth) influence 影响
*He has a tremendous hold over his younger brother. 他对他弟弟很有影响.
3 [sing] ~ (on sb/sth) power or control of sb/sth 左右某人[某事物]的能力; 对某人[某事物]的控制
*The military has tightened its hold on the country. 军方加强了对这个国家的控制.
4 [C] place where a climber can put his hands or feet when climbing 攀登者可手攀或脚踏之处
*There are very few holds on the cliff face. 峭壁的正面可供手攀或脚踏的地方很少. Cf 参看 foothold (foot).
5 (idm 习语) catch, get, grab, seize, take, etc `hold of sb/sth take sb/sth in the hands 抓住、拿住、握住某人[某物]
*I threw the rope and he caught hold of it. 我把绳子扔了过去, 他一把就抓住了.
* I managed to grab hold of the jug before it fell. 我设法抓住了那个罐子才未跌落. get hold of sb/sth (infml 口)
(a) find and use sth 找到某物以供使用
*Do you know where I can get hold of a second-hand carpet cleaner? 你知道我在哪里可以弄到旧的地毯除尘器吗?
* Wherever did you get hold of that idea? 你那想法究竟是从哪里来的?
(b) contact or find sb 与某人联系; 找到某人
*I've been trying to get hold of her for days but she's never at home. 我找了她好几天, 她始终不在家.
hollow part of a ship below the deck, where cargo is stored 货舱.