adj.薄的,细的,瘦的,稀少的,稀疏的,(液体、气体)稀薄的,淡的,空洞的 vt.使变薄,使变细,使稀少,使淡 vi.变薄,变细,稀少,变淡 adv.薄地,稀疏地,微弱地 n.细小部分
形容词:thinnish 名词:thinness 形容词比较级:thinner 最高级:thinnest 动词过去式:thinned 过去分词:thinned 现在分词:thinning 第三人称单数:thins 副词:thinly
adj (-nner / 5WInE(r); `WInL/, -nnest / 5WInIst;`WInIst/)
1 having opposite surfaces relatively close together; of small diameter 薄的; 细的
*a thin sheet of metal 一张薄金属板
* That ice is too thin to stand on. 那冰很薄, 经不住踩.
* a thin wire 细的金属丝
* a thin layer of glue 薄薄的一层胶
* The rope was wearing thin in one place. 那条绳子上有一处磨细了.
* a thin cotton dress, ie one made out of thin material 薄棉布连衣裙.
2 not having much flesh; lean 肉少的; 瘦的
*He's tall and rather thin. 他个子高而且很瘦.
* Her illness had left her looking pale and thin. 她病後显得苍白、清瘦. Cf 参看 fat1 2. =>Usage 见所附用法.
3 lacking density 稀薄的
*a thin mist, haze, etc 薄雾、霾等.
4 having units that are not closely packed together or numerous 稀疏的; 稀少的
*His hair's/He's getting rather thin on top, ie He is starting to go bald. 他渐渐歇顶了（他头顶的头发逐渐稀少）.
* The population is thin in this part of the country. 该国的那一地区人口稀少.
* a thin audience 寥寥可数的观众.
5 (of a liquid or paste) lacking substance; watery （指液体或糊状物）稀薄的, 多水的
*thin soup, stew, gravy, etc 稀汤、稀汁炖肉、稀肉汁.
6 (fig 比喻) of poor quality or lacking some important ingredient; feeble 质量差的; 缺乏某些重要成分的; 弱的; 无力的
*thin humour 肤浅的幽默
* a thin (ie unconvincing) excuse 站不住脚的藉口
* a thin disguise, ie one that is easily seen through 易为人识破的伪装
* The critics found her latest novel rather thin. 书评家认为她最近写的那部小说没什么意思.
7 (idm 习语) be skating on thin ice => skate1. have a thin/thick skin => skin. have a thin `time (of it) (infml 口) be uncomfortable or disappointed 不舒服的; 不好受的; 失望的; 受挫的
*The team's been having a thin time (of it) recently -- not a single win in two months. 那个队近来日子不好过--两个月里一场都没赢. the thin end of the `wedge event,action, demand, etc that seems unimportant but is likely to lead to others that are much more important, serious, etc 可能引起重大、严重等结果的小事、小的行动、小的要求等
*Unions regard the government's intention to ban overtime as the thin end of the wedge. 工会认为政府禁止加班的用意是老鼠拉木 , 大头在後边. (be) thin on the `ground not numerous; scarce 不多的; 少的. through thick and thin => thick. vanish, etc into thin `air disappear completely 完全消失. wear thin => wear2.
adv thinly 薄; 细; 瘦; 稀疏
*The bread is cut too thin. 那面包切得太薄了.
1 [I, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (out) (cause sth to) become less dense or fewer in number （使某事物）变得稀或少
*wait until the fog thins (out) 等到雾变薄些
* The traffic was thinning out. 来往车辆渐渐稀少了.
* War and disease had thinned the population. 战争和疾病已使人口减少.
* thin out seedlings, ie remove some to improve the growth of the rest 间苗.
2 (phr v) thin down become slimmer 变瘦; 变苗条
*He's thinned down a lot since he went on a diet. 他自从节制饮食以来已经瘦了不少. thin sth down make sth thinner 使某物变薄、细、稀等
*thin down paint with white spirit 用石油溶剂稀释油漆.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Compare thin, skinny,underweight, slim, etc. 试比较thin、skinny、underweight、slim等词的用法. When describing people whose weight is below normal, thin is the most general word. 指人的体重低于标准时, thin是最常用的词. It may be negative, suggesting weakness or lack of health 该词可含贬义, 指虚弱或不健康
*She's gone terribly thin since her operation. 她动过手术以後瘦得很厉害. Bony is often applied to parts of the body such as hands or face. *bony一词常用来修饰人体的某部分, 如手或脸. Skinny and scrawny are negative and can suggest lack of strength *skinny和scrawny都是贬义词, 表示无力
*He looks much too skinny/scrawny to be a weight-lifter. 他瘦骨嶙峋的, 当不了举重运动员. Underweight is the most neutral *underweight最无褒贬含义
*The doctor says I'm underweight. 医生说我的体重低于标准. Emaciated indicates a serious condition resulting from starvation. *emaciated指因饥饿造成的严重状况. It is often thought desirable to be slim or slender, slim being used especially of those who have reduced their weight by diet or exercise *slim或slender常为心向 往之的, slim一词尤用于描述经节食或锻炼来减轻体重的人
*I wish I was as slim as you. 但愿我能像你一样苗条.
* You have a beautifully slender figure. 你的体形十分苗条.
1. Bamboo is this kind of grass. It grows up straight and thin, with branches at the top. 竹子就是这种草. 它长得又直又细, 顶端长着枝权.
2. When I am finished, I pull a chair up beside the bed to face her and, taking her free hand between mine, again notice the long, thin fingers. 而后，我挪了把椅子面朝她坐在床边，握住她那只空闲的手，此时我又一次注意到她那细长的手指。
3. The girl is very thin. 那女孩很瘦.
4. These objects, however, were different. Lined up against the wall, there were long thin wires attached to metal spheres. 这些展品却使人大开眼界。靠墙排列着许多细长的电线，而电线又连着金属球。
5. The UPC is printed by the manufacturer on each grocery item — a set of thin and thick vertical stripes accompanied by a series of numbers under the stripes and a zero, centered to the left of them. 条形码由厂家印在每一食品上——这是一组粗细不同、垂直排列的线条，线条下方有一组数字，左边有一个“0”字。
6. The big one's gun dug into the back of my head, the thin one's pistol into my left temple. 那个大个子劫匪用枪顶着我的后脑勺，小个子用左轮手枪顶着我左边的太阳穴。
7. The atmosphere was 30 degrees below zero centigrade and too thin to breathe. 大气温度为零下30摄氏度，空气稀薄得无法呼吸。
8. To give skin care scientific authority, beauty counters have now stolen a thin covering of respectability from the hospital clinic. 为了使皮肤护理具有科学的权威，销售美容品的柜台现已从医院诊所盗用了体面的外表。
9. Althouth very thin , the epidermis serves to protect the underlying dermis. 表皮虽然非常薄，却可用来保护下层的真皮。
10. At this altitude, the air is very thin and the weather is uncertain. 在这样高度上，空气十分稀薄，气候变幻无常，