形容词:eliminative 名词:elimination 动词过去式:eliminated 过去分词:eliminated 现在分词:eliminating 第三人称单数:eliminates
ex-=out of,fully 变化型 a-,e-,ec-,ef-,es-,iss-,s-
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (from sth) remove (esp sb/sth that is not wanted or needed) 消除, 清除, 排除（尤指不必要或不需要的某人[某物]）
*eliminate mistakes from one's writing 消除文字中的错误
* The police have eliminated two suspects (from their enquiry). 警方（从调查中）已排除了两名受嫌疑的人.
* eliminate waste matter from the body 从体内排出废物.
2 [Tn] (infml 口) kill (sb) ruthlessly 干掉（某人）
*The dictator had eliminated all his political opponents. 独裁者已将所有政敌干掉.
3 [esp passive 尤用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (from sth) exclude sb from further stages in a competition, through defeat, etc 淘汰某人
*He was eliminated (from the contest) in the fourth round. 他在第四轮（从比赛中）被淘汰.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin: eliminatus, past participle of eliminare 'to put out of doors']
to completely get rid of something that is unnecessary or unwanted
eliminate a need/possibility/risk/problem etc
The credit card eliminates the need for cash or cheques.
The teacher should try to eliminate the possibility that the child has a hearing defect.
eliminate sth/sb from sth
Fatty foods should be eliminated from the diet.
to defeat a team or person in a competition, so that they no longer take part in it
Our team was eliminated in the first round.
to kill someone in order to prevent them from causing trouble
a ruthless dictator who eliminated all his rivals
eliminate sb from your enquiries
BrE if the police eliminate someone from their enquiries, they decide that that person did not commit a particular crime
1. Transferring patients sooner would eliminate the need for additional rooms and beds. 而早日转出病人则会消除额外病房和额外床位之需。
2. A different line of research was started: since malaria is associated with marshes, why not eliminate the marshes and see if malaria is eliminated as well? 又一系列不同的研究开始了：既然疟疾与沼泽有关，那么为什么不把沼泽除去看看疟疾是否也被除掉了呢？
3. Some companies require employees to take longer vacations, and others are moving to eliminate the traditional Saturday workday so that people will get out and relax. 一些公司要求雇员休较长的假期，另一些正在朝取消传统的星期六工作日努力，以便人们可以出外放松。
4. Politicians agree, in principle, so America and the EU have been trying to reach a deal which would eliminate the need to double-test many products. 政治家在原则上同意了， 因此，美国和欧洲一直在寻求达成协议，以便为许多产品取消双重检查。
5. Our goal is to eliminate poverty. 我们的目标是消灭贫困。
6. One thing that is left to the British to pray is to eliminate violence. 留给英国人去祈祷的就是消除暴力。