n (pl bases/ 5beIsi:z; `besiz/)
1 main principle that underlies sth; foundation 构成某事物的主要原则; 基础
*the basis of morality, friendship, etc 道德、友谊等的基础
* arguments that have a firm basis, ie that are founded on facts 有坚实基础（有事实根据）的论据
* Rates of work are calculated on a weekly basis. 工资是以周为计算基准的.
2 starting-point for a discussion 讨论的出发点
*No basis for negotiations has been agreed upon. 谈判以什么为中心议题尚未取得一致意见.
* This agenda will form the basis of our next meeting. 本议程将成为下次会议的中心议题.
1. But they´re decided on the basis of a person´s position and seniority. 但是薪水的高低是根据一个人的职位和资历决定的.
2. We are willing to do business with any nation on a basis of equality and mutual benefit. 我们愿意和一切国家在平等互利的基础上进行贸易。
3. It removes the father from the household, the only sensible basis for a working parental relationship; 离婚使父亲离开了家庭，这惟一的父亲与子女间关系赖以存在的合理基础不复存在。
4. The rise of jukus is praised by some as one of the secrets of Japanese success, a healthy sign of a system where people advance on the basis of merit. 课外学校的崛起，被某些人称赞为日本式成功的秘诀之一，是一个人人以德立身的健康体制的标志。
5. He moved all three matches from east to west and said that was what should be done — meaning that much of the new Poland should be carved out of Germany and that the Soviet Union should retain the Polish territory seized on the basis of the Nazi-Sovi 他把三根火柴全部从东部移到了西部，并且说这就是应该做的事——意思是新波兰的大部分从德国分离出来，苏联应当继续保留根据德苏条约侵占的波兰领土。
6. And it spread to Britain where wild rabbits are regarded as a pest but where domesticated rabbits, equally susceptible to the disease, are the basis of a profitable fur industry. 这种疾病又蔓延到了英国。在英国，野兔被当作有害的动物，可是家兔是赚钱的毛皮工业的基础，然而家兔同样易感染这种疾病。
7. As it turned out, there was no need for dramatics; people turned us off or tuned us out on the basis of appearance alone. 结果证明：无须夸张做作，人们单凭我们的外貌就叫我们离开或把我们撵走。
8. Self-respect and a clear conscience are powerful components of integrity and are the basis for enriching your relationships with others. 自尊和问心无愧是正直的两个重要组成部分，也是加深你与他人关系的基础。
9. Students are put together on the basis of their responses to housing form questions about smoking tolerance, preferred hours of study and sleep, and self-described tendencies toward tidiness or disorder. 这是根据学生对住宿表格上一系列问题的回答而将他们组合在一起。这些问题包括是否容忍抽烟，选择什么样的作息时间，以及对个人习惯是整洁还是凌乱做自我描述。
10. Miss: Yes, they´re decent, but they´re decided on the basis of a person´s position and seniority. 小姐:是的, 还不错.但是薪水的高低是根据一个人的职位和资历决定的.