n.地球,陆地,泥土,洞穴,地球上的人类,尘世,[电]接地 vt.埋入土中,把...赶入洞内,把...接地 vi.躲入洞内
动词过去式:earthed 过去分词:earthed 现在分词:earthing 第三人称单数:earths
1 (usu 通常作 the earth) [sing] this world; the planet on which we live 世界; 地球
*The moon goes round the earth. 月球环绕地球运转.
* I must be the happiest woman on earth! 我一定是世界上最幸福的女人了.
2 [sing] land; the surface of the world as opposed to the sky or sea 大地; 陆地; 地面
*After a week at sea, it was good to feel the earth under our feet again. 出海一周後, 又重新回到陆地上而感到愉快.
* The balloon burst and fell to earth. 气球破裂而落到地上.
3 [U] soil 泥土
*a clod/lump of earth 土块
* fill a hole with earth 用泥土填洞
* cover the roots of a plant with earth 用泥土把植物的根埋起来. =>Usage 见所附用法.
4 [C] hole of a wild animal, esp a fox or badger （野兽的, 尤指狐狸或獾的）洞穴; 兽穴.
5 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (esp Brit) (US ground) (wire that provides a) connection with the ground completing an electrical circuit 接地; 地线.
6 [C] (chemistry 化) any of several metallic oxides 几种金属氧化物之一
*an alkaline earth 硷土金属氧化物
* rare earths 稀土金属元素.
7 (idm 习语) charge, cost, pay, etc (sb) the `earth (infml 口) charge, etc a lot of money 要付...很多钱
*I'd love that bike, but it costs the earth. 我很喜欢那辆自行车, 可是贵得不得了. come back/down to `earth (with a bang/bump) (infml 口) stop day-dreaming; return to reality 不再做白日梦; 回到现实中来
*When his money ran out, he came down to earth (with a bump). 他把钱用光时, 才（赫然）如梦初醒. the ends of the earth => end1. the four corners of the earth => corner. go/run to earth/ground hide oneself away to avoid being captured, etc 躲藏起来以免被捉住等. how, why, where, who, etc on `earth/in the `world (infml 口) (used for emphasis 用以加强语气) how, etc ever 到底怎样...
*What on earth are you doing? 你到底在干什么呢?
* How on earth did she manage that? 她究竟怎么办到的呢? (be, feel, look, etc) like nothing on `earth (infml 口) very bad, unwell, peculiar, etc 糟糕、难受、特别极了等
*He looks like nothing on earth in those weird clothes. 他穿着奇装异服难看极了. move heaven and earth => move2. promise the earth/moon => promise2. run sb/sth to `earth find sb/sth by searching hard 尽力追查某人[某事物]
*The police eventually ran him to earth in Paris. 警察穷追不舍, 终于在巴黎找到了他. the salt of the earth => salt. wipe sth off the face of the earth/off the map => wipe.
1 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (esp Brit) connect (an electrical appliance, etc) with the ground 将（电器等）接地
*Is this plug earthed? 这个插头接地了吗?
2 (phr v) earth sth up cover (the roots of a plant, etc) with earth 用土掩盖（植物等的根）
*He earthed up the celery. 他给芹菜培上了土.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Compare earth, ground, floor and soil. 将earth、ground、floor、soil这几个词作一比较. The earth (also Earth) is the name of the planet where we live and earth can also refer to the solid land in contrast to the sky above *the earth（亦大写作Earth）是我们赖以生存的地球的名称, earth还可指大地, 是相对于天空而言
*The parachutist floated gently down to earth. 跳伞者轻飘飘地降落到地上. Ground indicates an area or distance on the earth's surface *ground指地面上的区域或距离
*The expedition covered a lot of ground. 探险队到过很多地方. In addition, the ground is the solid surface under our feet when we are in the open air 此外, 当人们在露天活动时, the ground可用以指地面
*You shouldn't sit on the ground when it's wet. 地面潮湿时就不应该坐在地上. The floor is the solid surface under our feet inside a building *the floor指建筑物内的地面
*He left his clothes lying all over the floor. 他把衣服扔得满地都是. Ground, earth and especially soil refer to the natural material in which trees and plants grow. *ground、earth、特别是soil, 均指土壤. Ground is an area of soil and earth *ground指土壤和土地的一个区域
*stony ground 多石的地面
* black earth 黑土地
* sandy soil 沙土地.
1. Earth movements in the past elevated great areas of the seabed. 地球过去的运动使海底大片地区隆起。
2. Even a telescope in orbit round the earth, like the very successful Hubble telescope, would not be suitable because of the dust particles in our solar system. 即使是一台放置在围绕地球的轨道上的望远镜--如非常成功的哈勃望远镜--也因为太阳系中的尘埃微粒而无法胜任。
3. Earth looks like a big blue marble (玻璃球); from high above the Earth and from the moon, the planet gleams and shines. 地球看上去就像一个巨大的蓝色玻璃球, 从高高的地球上空或从月球上望去，这颗行星熠熠生辉，闪闪发光。
4. Engelbreit is cheerful, down-to-earth, humorous, and always cute. 恩格尔布赖特乐观、率真、幽默、十分可爱。"
5. Experimental data seem to indicate that the amount of radon (Rn) in the water under the surface of the Earth waxes before an earthquake. 实验数据似乎表明，地震前地下水中氡的含量会增高。
6. Even trees live longer than people, and the Earth itself is far older. 连树也活得比人长，而地球本身就更是个老寿星了。
7. By comparison, relatively little is known about the internal structure of the earth. 相形之下，对于地球内部结构则了解得较少。
8. But suppose the earth could be covered with sensors spaced one foot apart, rising at one-foot intervals all the way to the top of the atmosphere. 假设地球上可以布满传感器，每个相隔1英尺，并按1英尺的间隔从地面一直排列到大气层的顶端。
9. Because the Moon has only an eightieth of the Earth´s mass, 因为月球的重只有地球的1/8，
10. Because the gravity on the Moon´s surface is only a sixth of Earth´s (remember how easily the Apollo astronauts bounded along), 由于月球表面的重力仅是地球表面的1/6 -- 还记得阿波罗飞船中的宇航员累松地跳跃 --