名词:blocker 动词过去式:blocked 过去分词:blocked 现在分词:blocking 第三人称单数:blocks
1 (a) [C] large solid piece of wood, stone, metal, etc, usu with flat surfaces （木、石、金属等的）大块（通常为有平面的）
*a block of concrete, granite, marble, etc 一块混凝土砌块、花岗石、大理石等.
(b) [C] piece of wood for chopping or hammering on 木砧
*a `chopping-block 砧板
* a butcher's block 肉墩.
(c) the block [sing] (formerly) large piece of wood on which a condemned person put his neck to have his head cut off （旧时）垫头砧（受刑人引颈断头用的大木块）
*go/be sent to the block 上[被送上]垫头砧.
2 [C] child's wooden or plastic toy brick 积木
*a set of (building) blocks 一副（建筑）积木.
3 [C] large building divided into separate flats or offices （有许多相互独立的公寓或办公室的）大建筑物
*blocks of `flats 公寓大楼楼群
* an `office block 办公大楼
* a `tower block, ie a skyscraper 高层建筑.
(a) group of buildings bounded by streets on four sides （四面临街的）建筑群
*go for a walk round the block 绕楼群散步.
(b) (esp US) length of one side of such a group （此类建筑群）一侧的长度
*He lives three blocks away from here. 他住的地方与此处相隔三条街.
5 [C] large quantity of things regarded as a single unit （看作一个单一整体的）大量事物
*a block of theatre seats 戏院的一个座位区
* a block of shares, ie in a business （某企业的）一大宗股份
* [attrib 作定语] a block booking, ie the booking at one time of a large number of seats 团体票预订（一次预订大量座位）.
6 [C] pad of paper for writing or drawing on 活页本; 拍纸簿.
7 [C] piece of wood or metal with designs engraved on it for printing （刻有图案供印刷用的）木板或金属板; 印板.
8 [C usu sing 通常作单数] thing that makes movement or progress difficult or impossible; obstruction; obstacle 妨碍物; 阻碍; 障碍
*a block in the pipe, gutter, drain, etc 阻塞管道、排水沟、下水道等的污物
* (fig 比喻) The government's stubborn attitude was a block to further talks. 政府的僵硬态度是进一步会谈的障碍.
9 (idm 习语) a chip off the old block => chip1. have a block (about sth) fail to understand, feel, etc because of emotional tension 因情绪
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.p] ~ sth (up) make movement or flow difficult or impossible on or in sth; obstruct sth 阻碍; 堵塞
*a drain blocked (up) by mud, dead leaves, etc 被污泥、枯叶等堵塞的下水道
* Heavy snow is blocking all roads into Scotland. 大雪阻塞了所有通往苏格兰的道路.
* A large crowd blocked the corridors and exits. 人群把走廊和出口都堵死了.
* My nose is blocked (up), eg because of a heavy cold. 我鼻子堵了（如因患重感冒）.
(b) [Tn] prevent (sb/sth) from moving or progressing; hinder; obstruct 阻挡（某人[某事物]）; 阻碍; 堵塞
*block an opponent's move, eg in a game of chess 封死对方（如下棋中）
* The accident blocked traffic in the town centre. 事故阻塞了市中心的交通.
* Progress in the talks was blocked by the Government's intransigence. 由于政府拒绝让步使会谈中断.
2 [Tn] limit or prevent the use or expenditure of (currency, assets, etc) 限制或阻止（货币、资产等）使用或花费
*blocked sterling 冻结英国货币.
3 [Tn] (in cricket) stop (the ball) with the bat held defensively in front of the wicket （板球运动中）（在三柱门前举板）挡住（来球）.
4 (phr v) block sth in/out make a rough sketch or plan of sth 画某物的草图; 定某事物的计划
*block in the plan of a house 画房屋的设计草图. block sth off separate (one place from another) using a solid barrier （用障碍物）隔开
*Police blocked off the street after the explosion. 在发生爆炸之後, 警方用路障封锁了那条路.
Mohanur block is a revenue block in the Namakkal district of Tamil Nadu, India. It has a total of 25 panchayat villages.
1. The old lady was glad to be back at the block of flats where she lived. 老妇人回到了她居住的公寓楼，心里很高兴。
2. Quite obviously he felt that it would be much more dangerous for the Soviet Union to be outside any world organization than to be in it, provided it could block actions it did not like. 显而易见，斯大林感到置身于任何国际组织之外比参与其中要危险得多，但参加必须有一个条件，即它可以不让通过它所不喜欢的行动（即后来的否决权）。
3. A book that remains shut is but a block. 书本不常翻，犹如一块砖。
4. Once he landed on the roof of a block of flats and on another occasion, he landed in a deserted car park. 一次，他把飞机降落在了一栋公寓楼的屋顶上；还有一次，降落在了一个废弃的停车场上。
5. It has to be tall because it is like a giant block and tackle, 井架必须很高，因为它像一个巨型滑轮组。