动词过去式:supported 过去分词:supported 现在分词:supporting 第三人称单数:supports
1 [Tn] bear the weight of (sth/sb); hold in position; carry 承受（某物[某人]）的重量; 支撑; 扶持
*a beam supporting a roof 支承屋顶的横梁
* Is this bridge strong enough to support heavy lorries? 这座桥禁得住重型卡车通行吗?
* He was weak with hunger, so I had to support him. 他饿得没有力气, 我得搀着他.
2 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (in sth) help sb/sth by one's approval or sympathy or by giving money （用表示赞同或同情或给钱）帮助某人[某事物]; 支持; 支援; 资助
*support a cause, political party, reform 支持某事业、政党、改革
* donate money to support a charity 捐款赞助慈善事业
* The directors were trying to get rid of her, but her staff all supported her. 董事都想把她撤掉, 可是她那部门的人员全都支持她.
* The American public stopped supporting the war in Vietnam. 美国公众不再支持美国在越南进行的战争了.
* Will you support me in my campaign for election? 你支持我参加竞选吗?
(b) [Tn] be a regular customer of or visitor to (sth); be a fan of (a team, etc) 经常光顾（某处）; 为（某队等）捧场
*Support your local theatre
*buy tickets regularly! 请大力支持本地剧院, 欢迎经常光临!
* Which football team do you support? 你是哪个足球队的球迷?
3 [Tn] help to show that (a theory, claim, etc) is true; confirm 支持（某理论、主张等）; 证实; 肯定
*a theory that is not supported by the facts 缺乏事实根据的理论
* This evidence supports my argument that she is guilty. 这一证据支持了我认为她有罪的推定.
4 [Tn] provide (sb) with the necessary money, etc to buy food, accommodation,etc 资助, 供养, 赡养（某人）
*I was supported by my parents when I was studying. 我求学期间由父母供养.
5 [Tn] provide enough food and water to keep (sb/sth) alive （提供食物和水）维持（某人[某物]）的生命
*Such a barren desert can support very few creatures. 在这样荒瘠的沙漠里, 很少生物能够存活.
1 [U] ~ (for sth) supporting or being supported 支撑; 扶持; 支持; 支援; 资助; 供养; 维持
*adequate support for the great weight of the crane 对起重机巨大重量的足够的支承力
* a proposal that received no, little, not much, etc support 没有人、很少有人、没有多少人...支持的建议
* I need some financial support for this venture. 我需要一些财务赞助来兴办这一企业.
* Can I rely on your support (ie Will you vote for me) in this election? 在此次选举中你能支持我吗?
* She is without any visible means of support, ie has no work, income, etc. 她生活无着（无工作、收入等）.
2 [C] thing that supports or bears the weight of sth 支撑物; 支柱; 支座; 支架
*wearing an athletic support 穿着下体护身
* supports holding up a collapsing wall 支撑危墙的柱子.
3 [C] person who gives help, sympathy, etc 给予帮助、同情等的人
*Jim was a great support to us when father died. 父亲死後, 吉姆给了我们巨大的帮助.
4 [U] people who support a political party, team, etc （政党、球队等的）支持者, 拥护者
*The theatre has had to close for lack of support. 这家剧院光顾者寡只好关闭.
5 (idm 习语) in sup`port (eg of troops) in reserve; ready to give support （如指军队等）後备的, 准备给予支援的
*We have ten people to do the cooking, with several more in support. 我们有十个人做饭, 还有几个人可随时来帮忙. in support of sb/sth supporting sb/sth; in favour of sb/sth 支持或支援某人[某事物]
*speak in support of a ban on arms supplies 讲话支持武器禁运.
1. Even though friends and family support the idea of going, it is difficult to say good-bye at this moment. 即使朋友们及家人支持他们出国留学, 但在此时此刻说声再见却是很困难的。
2. Both these women — mothers of the bride and groom — would have insisted they wanted only the best for their children but they defined "the best" as staying home to help support the family. 这两个女人就是新娘和新郎的母亲，她们本该说些希望自己的孩子生活美满的话，可她们心中的“美满”，却是让孩子们留在家里帮助维持全家生计。
3. Both Plomin's and Benbow's findings would seem to give support to the argument that outstanding mental abilities are largely the result of genetics. 普罗明和班博的研究结果似乎都支持了出众的智力主要是遗传的结果这一论断。
4. Without the chairman´s support, the committee is impotent. 没有主席的支持, 委员会是无能为力的.
5. Whether a planet can support life depends on the size and brightness of its star, that is its ´sun´. 一颗行星是否能够维持生命取决于它的恒星--即它的"太阳"--的大小和亮度。
6. We can even, if we want, interpret the term "family" to include people who are not related to us either by blood or marriage — a set of close friends who support one another, like the women I mentioned above. 愿意的话我们甚至可以把 "家庭"看作包括一些与我们既无血缘关系、又无婚姻关系的人 --一些互相扶持的亲密朋友，就像前面所提到的那些女士。
7. The population of the earth is increasing very fast. Man must make the earth support more people. 地球上的人口在迅速增长. 人类必须使地球养活更多的人.
8. The population of the earth is increasing very fast. Man must make the earth support more people. 地球上的人口在迅速增长. 人类必须使地球养活更多的人.
9. That small chair isn´t strong enough to support that heavy man. 那把小椅子经不住那个大胖子。
10. Two great towers support four huge cables. 两座巨塔支撑着4根粗大的钢缆。