1 top inner surface of a room 天花板; 顶篷
*Mind you don't bump your head on the low ceiling. 天花板很低, 留神别碰头.
2 cloud level 云幕高度.
3 maximum altitude at which a particular aircraft can normally fly 一航空器所能飞的最高限度; 升限; 上升限度
*an aircraft with a ceiling of
20000 ft 一架能飞20000英尺高的飞机.
4 upper limit 上限
*The government has set a wages and prices ceiling of 10%. 政府规定工资和物价提高的最高限度为10%.
5 (idm 习语) hit the ceiling/roof => hit 1.
ceil 'to provide with a ceiling'
(16-20 centuries), probably from Latin
caelare 'to cut into a surface'
the inner surface of the top part of a room
→roof rooms with high ceilings a light hanging from the ceiling
the largest number or amount of something that is officially allowedceiling of a public spending ceiling of £240 bnimpose/set/put a ceiling (on sth) The government imposed a ceiling on imports of foreign cars.raise/lower the ceiling (on sth)technical
the greatest height an aircraft can fly at or the level of the clouds
1. There are many spots on the ceiling. 天花板上有许多斑点。
2. Two widely separated strings hang from a ceiling. Even though you can't reach both at once, is it possible to tie their ends together, using only a pair of pliers? 两根相距甚远的绳子分别从天花板上垂下来。尽管你无法同时够到两根绳子，但有没有可能只用一把钳子就把两根绳子系到一起呢？
3. A lamp was suspended from the ceiling above us. 我们头顶上的天花板上吊著一盏灯.
4. Oddly shaped forms that are suspended from the ceiling and move in response to a gust of wind are quite familiar to everybody. 人们所熟悉的是悬挂在天花板上、造型奇特、随风飘荡的雕塑品。
5. On both sides of the fireplace and opposite the window were crowded bookshelves, on the top of which packets of newspapers and manuscripts were piled up to the ceiling. 在壁炉的两旁和窗户的对面挤满了书架，书架上面成捆的报纸和手稿一直堆放到了屋顶。
6. If you are lucky enough to get a couchette, you spend half the night staring at the smore blue light in the ceiling. 如果你走运搞到卧铺，你要花半夜的时间看天花板上蓝色的小灯光。
7. If you are lucky enough to get a sleeper, you spend half the night staring at the small blue light in the ceiling, 即使你走运弄到一个卧铺，夜间有一半时间你会盯着车顶那盏小蓝灯而睡不着觉；
8. I disagree. If I did agree, I certainly wouldn't look at my feet or at the ceiling. I'd keep my eyes on the lion! 我不同意这种说法。就算我同意，我也肯定不会看着自己的脚或是天花板。我会注视那头狮子。